After more than two years of using Genesis, I switched to Astra WP theme.
Genesis Framework is fantastic and was happy with the performance, but I always needed the developer’s help for the customization.
Maybe it’s too developer friendly. If you are a developer, you will love Genesis by StudioPress.
Last month I was playing around with WP Astra theme and loved the customization flexibility, and it is as lightweight as Genesis.
So I thought to give a try!
Brainstorm develops WP Astra theme and loved by more than 40,000 customers. There are two versions.
- Astra FREE – you can download from WordPress repository.
- Astra PRO – it’s add-on all-in-one plugin to take your WordPress site to the next level.
I am using PRO, and some of the features are:
- Page header – design custom page headers the way you want
- Infinite scroll – auto scroll to next post is supported out of the box
- Layout – customize the layout of your site like full-width, boxed, fluid, padded, etc.
- Sticky header – don’t spend another $$ on buying a plugin to make your header sticky
- Transparent header – give the unique design to your sales page to make it attractive
- Scroll to top – single click, and it’s done
- Footer widget – advanced footer module to provide a new look
- and many more…
The great thing is it doesn’t have its theme panel; instead every customization is done through WordPress customizer.
You can create a child theme directly from their dashboard in a single click.
Similar to Genesis, it got its hooks and filters, but the great news is you can use them to customize with great flexibility than Genesis.
Ex: if I need to show a banner on a specific page, I can use a custom layout and create a hook to display on.
I love the Astra custom layout.
You can use a custom layout for hooks, header, footer, 404 pages.
Astra PRO modules can be activated/deactivated from the Astra options.
This can be handy when you don’t want respective resources not to load on your site. By deactivating the unused module, you reduce the number of requests and overall page size for fast loading site.
And, before you ask – it’s responsive and mobile friendly.
Astra looks an excellent alternative to Genesis if you are not comfortable in modifying the code or having a limited budget.
It’s for two weeks and so far so good.
Will I go back to Genesis?
Update: Actually – I did.