As online attacks are (in)famously common these days, having rock-solid security has become essential for Internet users.
Thanks to technology, we have some methods and tools to mitigate such issues.
But here’s the catch, technology is evolving not only on our side but also for cyber crooks who continue deploying more advanced threats like malware, ransomware, etc.
Therefore, internet users must stay one step ahead of them to protect their data and privacy.
If you are using antivirus, good. Although it can detect new and known threats to protect your files, you can add a second layer of technology to complete the picture.
And the layer we are talking about is a firewall.
An efficient firewall helps keep your data safe by restricting external threats to access your system and trouble you.
How does it work?
Threats move from one computer to another, and it happens while the users have no idea about it. These threats detect a computer with unpatched vulnerabilities or weak security settings, and when they do, they insert themselves into those systems.
Computer and mobile devices get compromised, and cyber criminals manage to steal data, pose financial threats, or whatever they want.
This is how most worms, Trojan horses, or bad bots travel.
If you use a firewall, it monitors your network traffic while identifying and blocking unwanted data packets.
It is installed between your internal network and the rest of the internet or external network to filter incoming and outgoing data or traffic. A firewall can accept, deny, or drop traffic based on a set of security rules.
It performs two main roles:
- Defense against outside threats by blocking unauthorized connection requests, which may be a potential hacker
- Protecting your inside network infrastructure by blocking suspicious outgoing connections
There are plenty of benefits.
When you have installed a firewall, your network remains safe in a protected dome. 2-way firewalls even monitor outgoing and incoming traffic, so there occurs no information leak or theft. On finding any suspicious traffic, the firewalls block them right there.
While sending a file, Trojans latch into computer files and go along to reach the destination to cause more damage. They transmit silently whatever data they collect about you to servers without your knowledge. But firewalls prevent such mishaps by blocking them before they could infect your system.
Key-loggers are spyware software that targets your activities. When they identify what you are typing in your computer or mobile device, they replicate the same data and access your private accounts to cause damage. And guess what, firewalls mitigate such risks and thus protect your privacy as well.
Firewalls implement access policies for certain services and hosts. In case you find any vulnerability associated with any of them, blocking their access to your network or system is the best solution, and it is possible with the help of a firewall.
Hackers are always on the move to find loopholes in your network. A firewall can strengthen your security perimeter to leave no security loopholes, thereby restricting hackers from abusing your network.
Hence, a firewall is important to safeguard your network from the inside out, and when done right, you can reap its benefits all the time, including your data and reputation.
While there are many options available in the market, one of them is Avast Premium Security that comes with an efficient firewall. It is capable of blocking even the most sophisticated online threats like ransomware, malware, phishing, Trojan, and many others.
Let’s find out about this Avast firewall and how it can help you protect your computer and network.
What is Avast Firewall?
Avast is famous for its implementation of next-gen technologies. The Czech-based manufacturer has been providing quality services to its customers for 16 years and has gained a significant market share in the internet security ecosystem.
Its antivirus products can efficiently fight against different kinds of cyber threats, malware, viruses, etc. Besides, it supports major operating systems such as Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.
Avast offers a robust two-way firewall, which is the heart of its security suite. To control incoming and outgoing programs, Avast firewall has a default mode known as “Auto-decide,” which makes the decisions on its own regarding each program. Other available modes are – allow, block, and ask.
The great thing about Avast is that it does not irritate you with so many popups when you change the modes. The reason is that Avast already has created specific rules against each component in the Auto-decide mode.
It can run a quick analysis of each traffic and decides what to do with them. It defines five network access levels and complex rules for decision-making. In addition to monitoring, the firewall also protects your network from network-based attacks to exploit weaknesses in your operating system and applications.
The firewall is available in Avast Premium Security and Avast Ultimate Suite, for single and multi-device.
Wondering what the difference between the two is?
Avast Premium Security
- Blocks malware and viruses
- WiFi scanning for vulnerabilities
- Prevents fake websites for safe shopping
- Sandboxing for suspicious apps
- Advanced firewall
- Blocks ransomware along with phishing and spam emails
- Prevents webcam spying
- Shreds sensitive data permanently
- Updates apps automatically
Avast Ultimate Suite
- All the features available in Avast Premium Security
- Avast Cleanup Premium to remove junk, speed up systems, and free up space
- Avast SecureLine VPN for private and safe browsing
How to install Avast security on Windows and macOS?
- Make sure you have installed no other antivirus
- Download Avast Premium Security
- After you have downloaded the setup file, right-click on it and choose “Run as administrator” and click Yes
- Now, you will see something like this
- Here, you can choose your preferred language from the list and then click on “Install” to proceed further.
- Please wait for a little while it installs
- Once done, you can click on “Get started”.
- Review their policy and click on “I Agree” to share user data anonymously with Avast along with other 3rd-parties. Otherwise, click on “No, Thanks”.
- Now, choose any one of the two options:
- Activate if you have already tried Avast Premium Security and want to activate your paid plan.
- Start Free Trial, in case you have never tried it and want to test how it works for you. As it is free for 30 days, if you are satisfied with it, you can pay and continue the service.
- Start scanning your system by clicking on “Run the first Scan”. After it completes, a smart scan follows to detect viruses, malware, and other bad players.
Prerequisites for installing on Windows
- Windows 10/8.1/8 both 32 and 64-bit processors. It excludes mobile & IoT core editions.
- At least 1GB RAM
- 2GB hard disk
- Screen resolution 1024 x 768 pixels+
- Internet connection
- Download the set-up file for Avast Premium Security for Mac
- Double click on the downloaded set-up file
- Double click on the icon – Avast Security like this:
- Click on “Continue”
- Read the license agreement and hit “Agree”
- A prompt will show again for installation. You can also customize default settings if you want.
- Enter an admin password and click on “Install software”
- Click OK so that Avast can access your files from the download folder
- Click on “Open security preferences”
- You can set your preferences for security, privacy, and more
- Now, it will show whether you want Google Chrome as your default browser or not. Untick if you don’t want that. Then, click “Continue”
- Next, you can see a successful installation message like this:
- Click on “Close”
Prerequisites for installing on macOS
- macOS version – 10.15.x Catalina, 10.14.x (Mojave), 10.13.x (High Sierra), 10.12.x (Sierra), 10.11.x (El Capitan), 10.10.x (Yosemite)
- 64-bit processor
- 512MB+ RAM
- 750 MB+ hard disk
- Screen resolution 1024 x 768 pixels or higher
- Internet connection
Having a powerful firewall installed within the perimeter of your network has become necessary more than ever. Avast firewall is a great way to secure your computer network and data from cybercriminals.
Thus, if you still don’t use a firewall, get it today!