PDF or Portable Document Format comes in handy when you want to share the document to a different computer without disrupting the formatting and page layout.
For the same reason, the PDF file format is widely used in academic and business scenarios when the users want the document formatting to look perfect on the receiving end when the files are shared over the network.
While many may not be aware of this, it is possible to edit the PDF files without converting them into Document format. Plenty of software and apps empower you to edit a PDF to your liking. Using these tools, you can perform all editorial-related tasks like adding, modifying, and deleting the text, images, and links, filling out the forms, and what’s not!
We understand how helpful these PDF editing apps can be in crisis, so we decided to dig out the hidden treasure and bring you the best PDF editing software.
During our search, we found that tons of PDF editors are compatible with the Windows and Android platforms, but there are limited alternatives for Mac. Moreover, most Mac-compatible software is paid, and those offering a free version possess limited features.
So, you either need to purchase a one-time license or opt for a monthly subscription to leverage their advanced PDF editing features.
Below we have mentioned the PDF Editors you can bank upon whenever you have to edit a PDF document on your Mac and expect good results.
PDF Expert is a reliable PDF editing solution for Mac users wanting to read, edit or add annotations to PDF files. Using this utility tool, you can also fill up forms downloaded in PDF format and sign them using electronic signatures.
The software also supports dark mode and allows the authorized users to add comments in PDF, facilitating collaboration amongst team members in the workplace. Using PDF Expert, you can easily password-protect sensitive PDF files from unauthorized access and transfer them to any Apple device.
Let’s see what all you can do using PDF Expert:
- Merge multiple PDF documents into one.
- Select some pages from a PDF and create a new PDF file.
- Edit or replace images and links in the PDF.
- Convert the PDF file into other file formats like
- Microsoft Word, Apple Pages, and more.
- Change the font, font size, and text transparency in the PDF files.
- Hide sensitive information present in the PDF files.
The lifetime license of this handy tool costs USD 139.99.
PDF Studio by Qoppa Software is a fully-fledged PDF utility competing for neck-to-neck with Adobe Acrobat at a fraction of the price and download size.
This has multi-platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, & Unix) availability and is jam-packed with goodies to do everything PDF.
Some of the features include:
- Create, annotate, edit
- Digitally sign
- Optical character recognition (OCR)
- Fill & save PDF forms
- PDF split & merge
- Convert PDF to and from MS file formats
- Convert to HTML, Images, & SVG
- PDF text extraction
- Insert hyperlinks
- PDF optimizer
- Batch PDF modification
- Measurement tools
- Content redaction
- PDF comparison overlay, etc.
PDF Studio has two variants: Standard and Pro, each working on two devices per subscription and there is a free trial if you would like to test the features.
Besides these native applications, Qoppa Software maintains freepdfonline, where you can use a few PDF-related tools for free with a daily quota.
pdfFiller by airSlate is a full-fledged PDF management solution to create, edit, manage and collaborate on PDF documents using your Mac. Unlike PDF Expert, pdfFiller is a web app, so you can access it directly via a web browser and remotely collaborate with other users over the network and go paperless. If you prefer to use the software offline, you can also download the software on your Mac.
pdfFiller offers a wide range of functionalities:
- Supports multiple file formats to convert or compress PDF into Word, PPT, or JPG.
- Merge multiple PDFs or create a new one using a subset of pages.
- eSign the PDF using digital signatures.
- Set security protocols on PDFs to prevent information leakage when sharing it online.
- Access to an inbuilt library of 25 million editable forms.
- Add Banking-grade security and encryption techniques to PDF documents.
Plans start from USD 8 per month, chargeable annually.
PDF Editor by Nitro
Nitro PDF Editor for Mac is a PDF management suite that offers separate tools to create, convert, manage and edit documents in PDF format. It contains a dedicated PDF Editing tool that enables you to redact, delete, annotate or write on the PDF files.
Nitro PDF Editor is a cloud-based application allowing you to collaborate on the PDF from anywhere and improve the workflow. It can also integrate within the MS Office, facilitating quick linking and conversion of files.
Using Nitro PDF Editor, you can:
- Create rich and refined PDF documents by adding, deleting, and modifying the text and images.
- Add your company logo, bookmarks, watermarks, page numbers, and more objects into your PDF to deliver a professional experience to your customers.
- Use the robust Optical Character Recognition (OCR) that supports multiple languages to scan the hard copy of documents and convert them into editable PDFs.
- Embed hyperlinks and other files like Word documents, presentations, images, and more
- Add labels, identification or time marks to legal documents and process them in batches.
The lifetime license of the complete PDF management suite costs $129.99.
Foxit PDF Editor
Foxit is a perfect choice tool as a PDF editor for personal and professional use and allows team members from different locations to collaborate on important projects. The interface is user-friendly, and the ribbon-shaped toolbox inspired by MS Office helps locate any tool without much effort.
This PDF tool supports more than 40 languages allowing you to edit PDFs in your native language.
You can use this PDF Editor to look for mistakes in the document and fill the forms online after scanning the documents using the in-built OCR reader and uploading them. Foxit PDF editor also supports integration with Google Docs, OneDrive, and Box, allowing you to save, backup, and share PDFs.
Foxit PDF Editor also has a companion app for iPhone and Android phones through which you can also access the edited PDFs from your smartphones. Its powerful file protection feature assures the security of the PDF files, so you do not have to worry about unauthorized access.
The yearly plans of this powerful PDF editor start from USD 69.
Sejda PDF is a complete solution to manage PDF files which can be used to edit pdf files on Mac. A free version of this is also available, but it only allows you to edit a limited number of PDF documents.
For editing PDF files of large sizes for commercial or work-related use, you can go for the Pro version, which removes the restriction imposed on the number of files in the free version.
The features of the Sejda PDF tool are as follows:
- Merge many PDF files into one or split one into many smaller PDFs.
- Password-protect sensitive PDF documents.
- Convert PDF into different file formats.
- Add watermark to PDF documents.
- Edit text and the images into grayscale.
- Redact the text within the PDF files.
- Add annotations in the PDF files using highlight, strikeout, and underline options.
- Add text and format the existing text using formatting options.
- Add images, links, and signatures in the PDF files.
The annual pass for desktop and web-based software costs USD 63.
PDFElement by Wondershare is an advanced PDF editing software for Mac that facilitates effortless editing, annotation, conversion, combination, and protection of PDF documents.
Using PDFElement you can:
- Add, Modify, and delete text and images that are a part of the PDF document.
- Convert your PDF files to Word, Excel, EPUB, Images, and other formats with a few clicks.
- Add and edit headers, footers, text, watermark, pages, backgrounds, and other elements.
- Annotate the PDF content using a bunch of markup and annotation tools.
- Fill out the forms, extract the data or convert it into PDF.
- Scan your PDF using OCR and edit the scanned PDF document.
- Edit text using text formatting options like font, font style, font size, and font type.
- Crop, Remove, Copy, Paste, Replace, Extract or Rotate graphical elements.
Wondershare offers a comprehensive pricing plan for this powerful PDF editing tool, starting from USD 49.99 for six months.
Acrobat Reader DC
Adobe created the PDF file format and has developed many tools for users to manage the PDF files. One such tool is the Acrobat Reader DC, a subset of the full-fledged Acrobat software.
Acrobat Reader DC is a free PDF editing tool that has a decent number of features. You can upgrade to the Acrobat Pro DC tool using its advanced features.
Let’s check out the most notable features:
- View, edit, and comment on the PDF files.
- Add or edit text or image files, change fonts, add watermark, annotations, and more.
- Interact with PDF files, fill out forms or convert them into multimedia presentations.
- Cloud-based working of the tool allows you to sync the PDF files across all Apple devices.
The Pro version of the Acrobat DC tool costs USD 14.99 per month, chargeable annually.
So these are the most reliable PDF editing apps that make editing PDF files on Mac a hassle-free task. Software like PDF Expert and Adobe Acrobat DC are already popular choices for professionals and students. Some of these tools have a free version but offer limited functionality. You can check the complete feature list and purchase the software that has the features to meet your personal and professional needs.