Adobe Photoshop is an essential tool for graphic designers and photographers, but it’s only affordable for some. Try out these free and paid alternatives to Adobe Photoshop.
Adobe Photoshop is a well-known graphic design software. Even a layman knows about this software. If you have used Photoshop, you know it is more than just a photo editing tool. You can create eye-catching backgrounds and high-impact visuals with your creativity and Photoshop.
Additionally, you can adjust your images’ clarity, color, and tone, create image manipulation effects, and polish your graphic design work. Whether a beginner or a seasoned photographer, graphic designer, or artist, you’ll have everything you need to take your projects to the next level.
However, some Photoshop alternatives are available in this tech-savvy world. With the same kind of features as Photoshop.
But, you may wonder, if Photoshop is so good, why does anyone need an alternative?
Why Would You Need an Alternative to Photoshop?
Well, Adobe Photoshop is a paid tool, and sometimes every person who wants to use it does not want to spend a lot of money on it.
Also, if you are a beginner graphic designer or photographer and don’t know how to use Photoshop effectively, you might need Photoshop alternatives.
Here, Photoshop alternatives can help you get the job done. Try your hand at some of the Photoshop alternatives available on the market.
But before that, let’s check the factors to consider while choosing a Photoshop alternative.
Things to Keep in mind while choosing Photoshop Alternative
- It is affordable or accessible if you are a beginner.
- Easy UI and easy to understand, or its tutorials are available.
- Supports different file formats.
- It should support layers
- Support for multiple languages
Now, let’s check out some of the best Photoshop alternatives.
GIMP is an open-source (free) software for image editing and is available for GNU/Linux, macOS, Windows, and more operating systems.
Additionally, it is easier to use for beginners. Moreover, you can learn how to use this software from the wide range of tutorials and forums available on the internet.
- Photoshop-like performance
- Plugins are available in numerous formats
- It is possible to work on multiple layers as photoshop
- You can save your images in PDF format as well
- Design and creation of original artwork
- Image manipulation of the highest quality
Furthermore, you can customize the interface according to your preferences. Many filters, frames, and automatic or manual correction tools are available.
As the name suggests, Cartoonize, you can turn any photo into a cartoon, sketch, or painting in just one click.
Moreover, with this tool, you don’t need any graphic designing skills. It is a unique AI-based algorithm that could immediately produce amazing cartoon portraits. You can even pick from various cartoon outcomes and add your cartoon background.
- Comic book software that is relatively easy to use.
- With simply one click, delete backgrounds.
- Select the gender, then send your selfie for processing.
- You can pick cartoon effects with simply one tap and create your cartoon characters.
- You can choose cartoon backgrounds and create an alternative result!
- Keep track of how your cartoon images are progressing. Anytime you want, edit again.
Furthermore, This tool is free of cost, and you can use it from any corner of the world and resume editing, Online and offline.
The Darktable software is an open-source raw developer and photography workflow application. The software allows you to view and enhance raw images, manage your digital negatives in a database, and develop them from natural images.
- All editing is non-destructive. Your original images are never altered.
- ICC profile support for sRGB, Adobe RGB, XYZ, and linear RGB color spaces is built-in into Darktable, which makes it extremely easy to manage colors.
- In addition to Linux and Mac OS X, Darktable is compatible with BSD, Windows, and Solaris 11/GNOME OS.
- Easy to search your images by tags, color labels
- There are several formats that Darktable can import (e.g., JPEG, CR2, NEF, HDR, PFM, RAF)
- Through multiple-level software caches, Darktable offers a smooth user interface with zero latency.
Moreover, this tool has dozens of different features, like Photoshop.
If your profession is creating digital paintings and sketches, Krita is a perfect Photoshop alternative. Krita is free software that enables you to design and publish professional paintings or sketches on a single platform. You can adjust the layout using dockers or functional panels.
Also, using pre-made brush and brush stabilizers, you may create digital paintings or pixel art and apply 3D texturing to pictures.
- It is both free and open-source.
- It includes some essential 2D animation tools.
- Active and supportive community
- Provides a range of brush types
- It has extremely customizable brush engines.
- The interface is easy to use, straightforward, and customizable
The freehand brush tool also has a drag-and-drop interface that you can use to change the appearance of the brushes and create effects. You can also drag bubble shapes from the vector library onto the canvas to create comic panel layouts.
Inkscape is a vector graphics editor. If you are a person whose work includes making illustrations, Inkscape can be an ideal tool because you can create artistic and technical illustrations.
Furthermore, this tool is free and open-source, compatible with GNU/Linux, Windows, and macOS.
It employs vector graphics to produce sharp printouts and renderings at any resolution, as opposed to raster graphics, which are confined to a fixed number of pixels.
- Easy-to-use UI
- Support for multiple languages
- It is made extendable, and users can utilize add-ons to modify Inkscape’s functionality.
It supports various file types, including SVG, AI, EPS, PDF, PS, and PNG. In addition, you can use Inkscape for both creative and technical graphic requirements.
Photo Pos complete photo editing suite supports all the tools you’ll need to enhance images and produce outstanding artwork. You can easily create, edit, enhance, print, and manipulate digital photos and computer graphics. This Photoshop substitute is feature-rich.
- Adaptable interface for beginners and specialists
- Customizable layers
- There are lots of instructive courses available.
- Several file types are supported
It also offers options for altering colors, creating collages, etc. Using layers, specialized brushes, healing tools, and various artistic effects, textures, and gradients, you may edit photos and design projects from scratch.
Although you can find all the necessary features in the free version, you do not have to spend money initially.
Also, many predesigned templates help you meet your design needs in minutes—for example, design for Instagram posts and stories, YouTube thumbnails, or a LinkedIn cover photo.
- Text generator with curves.
- Image effects.
- Your images are in frames.
- Photos can have text.
- Record videos online.
- Video cutter
- Video conversion to MP4
- Graphic designers that are beginning to intermediate
- Using templates, you can collaborate and share creations with others.
The most significant advantage of using Canva is that it is easy to understand and use, which means you will not need any knowledge of photo editing tools to use Canva.
Pixlr X is an online picture editor with so many features that it competes fiercely with desktop programs. If you’re hunting for a simple and straightforward method to edit your images, then it is the right choice, with options for modifying the contrast, brightness, and saturation.
Moreover, Pixlr X goes well beyond the fundamentals by allowing you to adjust vibrance, highlights, and shadows (the latter of which has much the same effect as changing levels in Photoshop).
- Layers are supported
- Tools for advanced editing
- The easy-to-use interface
- You can use Pixlr with any browser.
- You can use this app via your lightweight mobile as well.
- These quick fixes allow those who need better-versed image editing to manipulate their photos professionally.
Pixlr X also provides many cutting tools, including shape, lasso, drag, and magic, which let you move or erase a selected portion of the image or move it to a different layer.
Pixelmator offers substantial, non-destructive color modifications that enable you to change the colors in your images or films. A selection of stunning modification presets and excellent editing capabilities make transforming beautiful photos into exceptional ones a breeze.
- You can edit the colors in your photos however you like.
- Automatically enhance your photos.
- It’s easy to edit RAW files with Pixelmator
- Using color adjustment layers, you can make advanced color edits.
It can be an ideal alternative to photoshop if your work requires image editing.
ACDSee functions as an image organizer, viewer, and editor on Windows, macOS, and iOS.
- A perpetual license or a subscription
- Controls for raw processing are excellent
- An all-in-one photo editor
- Merging photos simplified
- Editing Non-Destructive RAW Photos
This software will appeal to beginners and enthusiasts seeking an easy-to-use all-in-one solution.
Tayasui is one of the most realistic digital drawing tools to help you produce the most exquisite images. It’s an interesting, comparatively simple drawing tool and much better with particular, creative learning objectives.
With helpful beginning tutorials, acquiring this tool is simple, and there is a vibrant community, and users may access support through the app or website.
- Each tool has a preview that goes with it.
- A strikingly accurate watercolor brush.
- Stunning effects are produced through the blending and flow of colors.
- Make beautiful gradients to give your drawings more depth or punch.
- An excellent tool to mimic the appearance or texture of an acrylic or oil painting.
- You can rotate the picture with two fingers without rotating your smartphone.
- Navigate and rearrange graphics between folders quickly.
- Create intricate designs that are simple to edit by using layers.
Furthermore, Tayasui focuses on creation by giving seasoned and budding artists what they need; it does a superb job walking a fine line.
Seashore is a free, open-source image editor for built entirely in the Cocoa framework. It uses the same native file format as GIMP and is based on the same technology.
In contrast to GIMP, Seashore’s goal is to meet most computer users’ fundamental image editing needs rather than function as a stand-in for expensive image editing software.
- Strong and incredibly smooth picture editor.
- Alpha channel editing and numerous layers are both supported.
- The text and the brush strokes have anti-aliasing, textures, and gradients.
Additionally, Seashore offers a brand-new Cocoa user interface compatible with Mac OS X.
Affinity photo editor is popular across the world. Millions of creative and photography professionals around you use Affinity Photo because it is the only fully featured photo editor compatible with macOS, Windows, and iPad.
This multifunctional photo editing program has all the tools you need to edit and retouch photos, create multi-layered compositions, create stunning raster paintings, and do much more with astounding speed, power, and accuracy.
- UI settings for high contrast are available.
- Studio panels that have been restyled are accessible via the Window menu (for desktop only).
- Quick Menu for context-sensitive command access.
- Layers and Brushes Studio Compact Mode.
- Non-destructive compound masks for using Boolean operations to combine multiple mask layers.
- Create non-destructive Live masks based on specific hue, luminosity, or frequency ranges.
- Dropbox API integration to maintain resource linkage across devices.
This software has features almost like those in Photoshop. It is available for editing, removing blemishes, dodging, burning, cloning, and patching, and the magical inpainting brush helps eliminate unwanted objects. Thus, it is also a great Photoshop alternative.
Photopea is an online free graphic design software that is similar to Photoshop. It has nearly all the features you can find in Photoshop. It is a web-based program, but some browsers allow you to download and install it.
- It has unique features, including importing an Excel spreadsheet into Photopea and converting it into a designed infographic.
- It supports formats like PSD, PDF, AI, XD, Sketch, and XCF files, as well as RAW photos and standard GIF, JPG, PNG, TIFF, and SVG files.
However, it also serves as a fantastic substitute if you frequently use other design tools, particularly if you’re paying a monthly membership that is going up.
These are the Photoshop alternatives; we highly suggest you check every tool to find the right one according to your requirement for your graphic designing and editing needs. Though all the tools mentioned- above are excellent, here is our suggestion.
To create digital paintings, sketches, or cartoon characters, you should go with Cartoonize, and if you need a tool like Photoshop, you should try Affinity Photo and Photopea.