Negative SEO (search engine optimization) can be defined in many ways.
It can be an attempt by your competitor to inject obnoxious links into your website or steal links from your site that perform well. Negative SEO has a broad spectrum and also includes content theft, brand impersonation, and various other similar aspects.
In general, negative SEO is anything that affects the reputation, prestige, traffic, and ranking of your website in search.
In this article, I have tried to cover some of the best tools that will help you monitor any negative SEO instance that may crack the influence of your brand.
Google Webmasters is one of the best tools available in the market to detect Negative SEO. It breaks down the content of your website into five main parts.
Of these, Health, Traffic, and Optimization have the most critical data.
Google offers a lot of tools that help you gain SEO insights. If, by any chance, your website gets hacked by someone, Google will mark it as infected in search results. You will immediately get an alert in case of such malicious activities so that you can take appropriate action.
- You can access the search statistics on google
- You can access the latest data regarding incoming links and internal links
- It also shows how useful are keywords which you are targeting your website
- If malware is detected on your website, Google Webmaster Tools will immediately alert you
- GWT gives you insights regarding crawling and indexing activity on the site
- The sitemaps section shows you the sitemaps of your website found on Google.
- There are specific advanced tools available like robots.txt file, which allows you to select preferred domain syntax (with www or without www), which should be displayed in search results.
Monitor Backlinks is an SEO tool that is used by digital marketers and online entrepreneurs to check their backlinks and recognize a competitor’s high-quality links.
With Monitor Backlinks, you can also check your keyword rankings on Google.
- It automatically sends you a notification whenever you lose or earn a backlink
- It links with your Google Analytics account and generates all useful metrics
- With Monitor Backlinks, you can sort your backlinks into a number of categories like nofollow, meta nofollow, meta noindex, robots.txt blocked, 302 redirects, wrong anchor, not found pages, server errors.
- It provides updated keyword rankings every week.
- Every week, it sends you a report based on Changes in your Alexa Rank, Page Rank, number of indexed pages in Google, and some other aspects.
- If Google has manually sent your website a penalty, you can filter bad links quickly with one of its built-in tools.
There are more backlink tools that can help you with SEO strategy.
Cognitive SEO is a great tool to detect and remove unnatural and evil links in your website’s backlink profile that can harm the reputation of your site in search.
- CognitiveSEO has a beautifully designed user interface that will make you understand the process of backlink analysis.
- It efficiently analyses unnatural backlinks and generates a report which notifies users to avoid any penalties from search engines.
- It comes with a comprehensive set of SEO tools needed for not only increasing the visibility of the user’s site but also generating desired traffic efficiently.
- It helps users in building appropriate and profitable links that will drive traffic and attract their clients.
- With CognitiveSEO, you can track and note up to 500 keywords.
- For tracking the performance of direct competitors, users can put their website’s URL along with the URLs of their competitors.
Google Alerts, a free to use service, which is a great way to keep you informed of specific events that will help you in keeping your content original. Once you enter your search terms in the field, you are immediately provided with results.
Also, you can set them to be sent to your email as they crop up.
- Google Alerts lets you monitor news, blogs, video, discussions, and books, so you never miss any relevant facts when you need to generate new content
- You can control the frequency of alerts by setting Google Alerts to as-it-happens, once per day or once per week
- You can get the updates via email or create an RSS feed for the material
- It is wholly based on the web. To access Google Alerts, all you need is a device with an internet connection
Open Link Profiler
Open Link Profiler by SEO Profiler is a FREE analysis tool to check the site links, including bad links. Under Link Disinfection, you can find what all links are harmful.
Some other features
- OpenLinkProfiler has its web crawlers
- The link database is updated every 5 minutes
- You can export up to 200,000 links per domain
- Its pages section gives you details regarding top pages of a given domain
- You can also view the context of the link to the domain being searched
- The LIS (Link Influence Score) tells you the source of the majority of backlinks to your website
With Seobility, you can audit your SEO as well as improve its technical aspects. A lot of people tend to forget about the technical SEO section, which can negatively affect your website’s rankings as it is responsible for optimizing various other areas.
You get a plethora of free tools that will assist you in implementing technical SEO procedures like improving the site loading time, checking for grammar issues on your site, fixing all the broken links, and more.
- SEO check feature will highlight all the possible errors that might affect your SEO campaign.
- Another great feature is Keyword Check that will give you tips to optimize your post based on a target keyword. All you need to do is put the URL and your target keyword.
- With the SEO compare feature, you can check your website’s ranking concerning that of your competitor’s site.
- It also offers a monitoring service that crawls all the website links and sends you reports according to problems and solutions.
One of the famous all-in-one marketing tools, SEMrush, got hundreds of features including detecting risk factors.
You can extract the toxic links and send them to Google disavow, so it doesn’t impact your site SEO ranking.
Link Explorer by Moz lets you quickly find out the overall spam score of the given domain. It also lists the inbound links with their spam score, so you know which backlink is bad to take action.
This list won’t be complete without including ahrefs—a premium tool to analyze domain, monitor, and research your competitor.
If using Ahrefs, then check out this detailed guide about bad links.
Negative SEO is dangerous, and you should regularly check to take necessary action on it. I hope above listed tools help to find your site’s risk.