No matter whatever keyboard you have your hands on but when you get to experience the thrill of Mechanical keyboards, you cannot resist them.
Is it time to upgrade your Mac with a mechanical keyboard? Choosing a mechanical keyboard from the countless available options on the market isn’t an easy task. Due to the different features available on each mechanical keyboard, it provides a unique experience to mac users.
Choosing the right mechanical keyboard can be difficult with many options, including wireless keyboards with large volume knobs, Mac keyboards with wrist rest, function keys, and RGB lighting.
But do not get puzzled. We have prepared a guide to help you choose the right keyboard for your Mac to meet your needs.
What is a Mechanical Keyboard?
The term mechanical keyboard refers to a keyboard with spring-activated switches. In contrast to standard keyboards, mechanical keyboards have individual controls for each key.
When using a mechanical keyboard, a keystroke is recorded with a much lower pressure level. There is a reason why this is the case since mechanical keyboards have mechanical switches beneath each key that replace the rubber layers with a mechanism.
How Are Mechanical Keyboards Useful?
Mechanical keyboards are frequently considered some of the market’s most useful and amazing products. Switches under each key offer a superior typing experience than standard keyboards. Using the tangibly felt keypad helps users type more accurately and precisely.
The following are some main reasons that make mechanical keyboards useful and a favorite choice among techies.
- Comfortable to Use: There is a distinctive switch under each key, so a mechanical keyboard typically feels much better when typing, as your fingers react more quickly.
- Precise: With mechanical keyboards, users can type more easily, and they’ll make fewer mistakes or hit the wrong key because they’re more accurate, making them less likely to make mistakes. For programmers and typing professionals, they can be incredibly useful.
- Long-Lasting: The average lifespan of a mechanical keyboard is between 20 and 100 million keystrokes, while the lifespan of a membrane-based keyboard is only about 5 million.
- Heavyweight: There are pros and cons to mechanical keyboards. They are generally heavier and more durable than membrane keyboards, which means they are less likely to move around on your desk.
Types of Mechanical Keyboard Switches
Switching to a mechanical keyboard requires adjusting at first. Many users are attracted to mechanical keyboards for their ease of use and durability. Below we will examine the three main types of keyboard switches.
When fully pressed, the Linear switch type offers no tactile feedback, making typing smooth and comfortable. From beginning to end, you receive a similar level of force as a membrane keyboard. As a result, this switch is significantly quieter than others.
The tactile feedback offered by this switch type is in line with its name. As you press down the key, you hear and feel a slight bump, enhancing the typing experience.
Clicky Switches are similar to tactile switches, except they provide a low level of physical feedback. Compared to the other two options, they deliver the most satisfying results.
Though there are countless mechanical keyboard options for Mac, we have handpicked some of the best choices that suit your needs. Let’s explore them.
Das Keyboard 4 Professional
Das keyboards have continued to be a favorite mechanical keyboard over the years. With their impressive Mac-specific options.
|Das Keyboard 4 Professional for Mac Wired Mechanical Keyboard, Cherry MX Brown Mechanical Switches,…||$169.00||Buy on Amazon|
The Das Keyboard 4 Professional is perfect for office use, featuring a full layout and a number pad on end. In addition to the number pad, there are dedicated controls for music playback, including a volume knob, which we don’t often see on other keyboards.
Also, the Keyboard 4 acts as a USB 3.0 hub, so you don’t have to reach behind your Mac to plug in your mouse or thumb drive.
- Das Keyboard 4 has an excellent usability rating and is well-built.
- Most setups should be able to use the rubber-coated cable, as it is long and flexible.
- The keyboard includes a volume wheel and dedicated media controls.
CIY X77 Hot-Swappable
For a good reason, CIY hot-swappable keyboards have been praised for their advanced features. Hot-swappable switches, programmable macros, a detachable USB-C cord, RGB backlighting, and USB-C compatibility make it a standout on this list.
|CIY X77 Hot-Swappable Mechanical Keyboard/RGB Gaming Keyboard/USB C/Anti Ghosting/N-Key…||$39.99||Buy on Amazon|
With more gaming options available for Macs than ever, now is the perfect time to think seriously about getting a mechanical keyboard capable of handling gaming operations on your Mac.
A strong wrist rest, sticky texture, and small depressions on the keys make these keys even more comfortable.
- Debris is easy to remove.
- RGB lighting and functions can be highly customized with this powerful chip.
- TKL keyboards can be hot-swapped at any time.
The Keychron K2 is a great mechanical keyboard for those who work at home or have in-house jobs. Finding the right mechanical keyboard can be challenging, but it is worth it.
|Keychron K2 Version 2 Wireless Gaming Mechanical Keyboard, Bluetooth/USB Wired Compact 84 Keys RGB…||$99.99||Buy on Amazon|
Its compact 75 percent layout makes it a great companion for typing and light gaming on a small desk. A more gentle clack can be heard when pressing the keys of the Keychron K2, and there is no sharp clicking sound as could be heard when using traditional mechanical switches.
It is not for everyone to like brown switches, so if you prefer Gateron Red or Blue switches, you are in luck – you can replace them on the fly.
- An elegant RGB backlight with a charming keycap
- Features a Mac-like layout
- Easily switches between up to 3 Bluetooth 5.1 devices
Keychron C2 Full-Size Wired Keyboard
Keychron mechanical keyboard is of decent build quality, and the C2 delivers decent performance. Using the full layout, the board comes with double-shot ABS keycaps.
|Keychron C2 Full Size Wired Mechanical Keyboard for Mac, Hot-swappable, Gateron G Pro Brown Switch,…||$78.99||Buy on Amazon|
Except for RGB, the C2 is limited to wired connectivity (via USB-C). Despite the higher price tag that the C2 currently offers, there are still quite a few options for ordering it.
- Mac-optimized layout.
- With a braided cable, the C2 includes a wired USB Type-C connection.
- With it, you can customize the experience of typing per key.
- A charming white LED backlight is built into the ABS keycaps.
Portable 60% Gaming Keyboard
There isn’t much cost involved in purchasing a mechanical keyboard. The MageGee MK-Box 60% mechanical keyboard is a portable device with two switch options, a single-color backlight, and a mechanical keyboard form factor. This is an excellent choice to make if you are starting.
|MageGee Portable 60% Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, MK-Box LED Backlit Compact 68 Keys Mini Wired…||$29.99||Buy on Amazon|
Clicky blue or linear red switches are available, but they can’t be hot-swapped. In addition, the keycaps can be swapped. If you decide to customize your keyboard, you can choose your keycaps.
- Easily customize the effects of illuminated LED lights.
- The keyboard’s angle can be adjusted, and the USB cable can be detached.
- The switch makes a loud clicking sound when pressed.
- This LED light is packed with customizable light effects.
Das Keyboard MacTigr
An excellent choice for Macs, the Das Keyboard MacTigr offers a great typing experience and a solid build.
|Das Keyboard MacTigr Wired Mechanical Keyboard for Mac – Cherry MX Red Switches & PBT Keycaps for…||$189.00||Buy on Amazon|
As a result, MacTigr exists in the first place. Putting it simply, the MacTigr is a ‘thoughtful’ keyboard – Das has put all of his energy into making it as practical and delightfully usable as possible.
Moreover, the MacTigr supports full N-Key rollover, making it possible to press any number of keys you decide. This is especially useful for some game genres.
- A keystroke count of up to 100 million is available.
- It is a pleasure to type smoothly and effortlessly.
- An insanely fast USB-C hub with two ports.
- Low-profile PBT keycaps from Das Keyboard provide durability.
Designed by Keychron, the K2 is an 84-key wireless mechanical keyboard with an elegant look and feel. Its superior Mac layout of shortcuts, dedicated arrow keys, and functions keys offers an excellent Mac experience.
|Keychron K2 Wireless Bluetooth 5.1/Wired USB Mechanical Keyboard for Mac Layout, Compact 84 Keys…||$79.99||Buy on Amazon|
The Bluetooth 5.1 technology enables you to connect three different devices at the same time. Moreover, this keyboard also adds the capability to connect mobile phones, iPad, laptops, and peripherals through USB. Furthermore, there is a USB Type C connection on the device.
Due to its wireless nature, you may have concerns about latency. Despite this, the keyboard has a reasonable latency. Wired connections are best for gaming, and wires can be connected via the Type C USB port.
The K2 comes with a backup battery that enables users to type for 72 hours or use the keyboard for seven days.
- K2 has all the Mac function keys you need, thanks to its unique layout.
- The K2 has a 240-hour battery life.
- A white LED backlight and modern keycap legends enable you to adjust the brightness according to your mood.
Logitech MX Wireless Keyboard
With low-profile keys that deliver high flow levels, Logitech’s mechanical keyboard for Mac is another of the best for Mac.
|Logitech MX Mechanical Wireless Illuminated Performance Keyboard, Tactile Quiet Switches, Backlit…||$163.78||Buy on Amazon|
This keyboard has bright illumination that illuminates Backlit keys as soon as your hands touch them. Besides that, it is automatically adapted to different lighting conditions, so you can work on it even when you are on the go, and it is easier to use.
Using Bluetooth Low Energy, you can use the MX Mechanical wireless keyboard with a wide range of devices on virtually any operating system.
- Typing with ease and quietness.
- Illuminates smartly.
- Provides quick charging via USB-C.
- Precision-oriented keyboard layout.
60% Wireless Keyboard
60% Wireless Mechanical Keyboard is a great addition to Mac’s list of mechanical keyboards. It is best suited to provide the best Mac user experience. This keyboard doesn’t stress your fingers, from playing games to doing office work. It is easy to type, and you won’t have to trouble yourself with extra pressure to use the keyboard.
|60% Wireless Gaming Keyboard, 2.4G/Type-C/Multi-Device Bluetooth Keyboard- RGB Backlit- Clicky Blue…||$39.99||Buy on Amazon|
No matter whether you want to travel for a meeting with this keyboard or move to other cities, this keyboard has got you covered.
- You can connect to it in 3 different ways.
- The switch is a classic blue color that responds fast and does not lag.
- The wireless mechanical keyboard fits into most bags and is travel-friendly and easy to carry.
The top mechanical keyboards we have selected for your Mac are all the best you can find, and they will guide you toward a product that meets your needs and budget.
Opt for a wireless keyboard for office work, but if you are searching for the perfect gaming keyboard, we recommend investing in a wired keyboard.
You may also want to explore the best online tools to test your keyboard.