Do you want to learn Java but don’t have much time to invest? Buckle up and know the top Java online courses to upskills.
It is easy to jam up online courses and learn new programming languages in the present era. However, it is essential to determine where to start from, which programming language to opt for, and how to start your career in the respective field.
As per Statista, Java is the fifth most used programming language (35.35%) among developers. It makes developers take courses and certification programs to upskill themselves and learn the Java programming language.
But before deep-diving into the courses, let us cover up the basics of Java.
What is a Java programming language?
Java is a computing platform, class-based, high-level, and object-oriented programming language. It is also famous as a “Write Once, Run Anywhere” programming language similar to C++ and C syntax. The programming language is easy to learn, simple, robust, secure, fast, and reliable for game consoles, data centers, laptop applications, scientific supercomputers, etc.
It helps the developer run the application efficiently with libraries, computers, and execution engines. The multi-platform programming language works as a computing platform that helps develop the projects. The developers can use Java programming language for:
- Big Data Analytics
- Developing Android Apps
- Mobile Java Applications
- Server-Side Technologies like GlassFish, JBoss, and Apache
- Hardware Devices
- Scientific Computing Application
- Create Enterprise Software
Java is considered an easy-to-use and platform-independent programming language. It is used to create a distributed environment and facilitates distributed computing. Several components of the Java programming language make it easy to write human-readable source code. Java components include Java Development Kit (JDK), Java Virtual Machine (JVM), and Java Runtime Environment (JRE).
Java programming language can be an ideal choice for developers who can help develop any application or software. It comes with several benefits such as:
- A large community that offers tons of resources to learn from.
- It is an open-source programming language with a rich API and a comprehensive set of tools.
- Java is an in-demand skill that has increased job opportunities for developers.
- It comes with powerful IDEs that are stable and scalable.
- Java is used for the development of eBay, Amazon, etc.
To become an expert in Java programming languages, several online courses for beginners, intermediate, and expert levels. When it comes to learning Java, it is essential to choose an online program that is not outdated and is up-to-date.
If you want to learn Java, we have summed up some online courses and YouTube tutorials that can help you.
Java Programming Masterclass covering Java 11 & Java 17
Java Programming Masterclass covering Java 11 & Java 17 is available on Udemy for candidates looking to become computer programmers. The professionals can obtain the Java certification and upskill themselves with core Java skills. This online course includes three articles, 80 hours of on-demand video, 52 coding exercises, one downloadable resource, three resources, access on TV or mobile, and full lifetime access.
The candidates will learn:
- Demonstration of Java understanding
- Learn best practices of the industry in software development
- Pass Oracle Java certification exam
- Obtain proficiency in Java 11 and Java 8
- Acquire essential skills such as Android development, Java EE, Spring Framework, etc.
The course is divided into 25 sections and is 80+ hours long. The sections are divided into lectures covering tutorials on tools setup, methods, code blocks, statements, expressions, classes, control flow statements, inheritance, constructors, etc. The in-depth Java programming course online includes the fundamental part of the Java JDK and advanced technologies.
Java Programming for Complete Beginners
Java Programming for Complete Beginners is available on Udemy, covering the topic of building REST API with Spring Boot and Object-Oriented Programming. It is more than 31 hours of on-demand video course with 29 sections and 372 lectures. The candidates are eligible to obtain certification after completing the online course.
The candidates will cover the topics:
- Introduction to the Course – Java Programming
- Installing Java
- Introduction to Java Programming with Jshell
- Introduction to Eclipse – First Java Programming Project
- Conditionals in Java Programming
The course includes hands-on exercises and puzzles that allow candidates to learn object-oriented concepts. Candidates will get full lifetime access on TV, mobile, PC, etc. The beginners with no in-hand experience in Java can kickstart their career with this course.
Java In-Depth: Become a Complete Java Engineer
Java In-Depth: Become a Complete Java Engineer is available on Udemy containing best practices and design principles for beginners and experienced coders. The course includes an instructor-led Java EE project offering in-hand experience to the candidate.
The 67-hours online courses come with on-demand videos, assignments, 15 coding exercises, 290 downloadable resources, and offer lifetime access. It offers:
- In-depth understanding of advanced and core Java features
- Best practices, design principles, and coding conventions
- Real-world experience with products to use Servlets, JSP, and MySQL
- Mastering IO, Exceptions, Multi-threading, Generics, Collection Framework, Databases, etc.
- Solid understanding of Functional-style programming
- Method Building Blocks: Operators & Control-flow Statements
- More Java.lang & Coding Conventions
- JVM Internals
This online course works as a complete and professional Java engineer with a holistic approach. It has chapters on nested classes, databases, multi-threading, lambdas & streams, JSTL, database designing, etc. The project includes building a bookmarking web application that allows users to bookmark movies, books, web pages, etc.
Java Programming and Software Engineering Fundamentals Specialization
Coursera’s Java Programming and Software Engineering Fundamentals Specialization are about exploring a career as a software engineer that covers all the basics of software development and programming. The course offers a flexible schedule, shareable certificate and is ideal for beginners.
Java is an in-demand programming language that helps in solving complex problems instantly. The course will cover fundamental skills around Java that include designing algorithms to solve real-world problems, debugging the programs, etc. This specialization will cover:
- Java Programming: Arrays, Lists, and Structured Data
- Java Programming: Solving Programs with Software
- Java Programming: Build a Recommendation System
- Java Programming: Principles of Software Design
The courses are packed with reading and video materials, self-paced learning, practice quizzes, and programming assignments. It also is a shareable specialization and course certification.
Learn how to program in an easy and interactive way
edX’s Learn how to program in an easy and interactive way is a three skill-building course that candidates can start at self-paced speed. The four monthly course covers all the basics of Java, such as:
- Detect and correct programming errors at runtime and compile-time
- Understand basic mechanisms of the OOP paradigm
- Develop simple programs in Java using loops, conditionals, and recursion
- Software engineering techniques for simple model programs
- Compare resource efficiency of programs
The candidates can learn to use and develop non-linear and linear data structures such as trees, queues, stacks, and lists. It also teaches to implement algorithms for data sorting and to search.
The courses in this program will include an introduction to Java programming professional certificate that helps candidates start coding, write good code, and fundamental data structures and algorithms. The candidates can learn the programming-related skills to obtain high-paying job opportunities in the market.
Codeacademy Learn Java
Learn Java with Codeacademy offers a 25 hours course to the candidates covering basics and practical knowledge. The course covers fundamental programming concepts and builds seven Java projects. The lessons covered in the course are:
- Hello world lesson
- Datatypes and variables
- Object-oriented Java
- Conditionals and control flow
- Arrays and ArrayLists
- String Methods
- Access, Encapsulation, and Static Methods
- Inheritance and Polymorphism
- Two-Dimensional Arrays
There are several quizzes for candidates, including Java Vairbales Quiz, Hello World, and Java Variable Manipulation Quiz. On completing this introductory course, candidates will obtain a certificate. Every lesson has sub-topics, including articles, projects, and quizzes.
Java Fundamentals: The Java Language
Java Fundamentals: The Java Language is available on Pluralsight that the basics of Java and helps establish a solid foundation for beginners, including server-side, client-side, and Android. This beginner’s level course offers an expanded and hands-on library to apply real-world scenarios and practice with interactive lessons.
The course covers several lessons such as:
- Introduction and setting up the environment
- Creating an application
- Variables, Data Types, and Math operations
- Conditional Logic, Looping, and Arrays
- Representing Complex Types with Classes
- Class Initializers and Constructors
- A Closer Look at Parameters
- Class Inheritance
- Data Types
- Error Handling and Exceptions
- Creating Abstract Relationships with Interfaces
- Statics Members, Nested Types, and Anonymous Classes
The course covers significant aspects such as JDK vs. JRE, setting up IntelliJ IDEA, understanding NetBeans IDE, basics of Packages, arithmetic operations, operator precedence, primitive types. Type conversions, etc. It also includes understanding Looping, Arrays, Conditional Logic like If-else and blocks statements, switches statements, classes, method, etc.
Java Programming Basics
Udacity covers Java programming basics covers the functions and syntax for beginners. The course offers a basic foundation in Java syntax, data types, and variables. It provides rich learning content that candidates can learn at their speed and take interactive quizzes.
It covers five lessons such as:
- Using Conditional and Methods Statements
- Writing Java syntax and creating variables
- IntelliJ and Debugging
- Creating functions
- Creating Loops
The idea is to cover the if-else and switch-case statements, write the first Java program, declare methods with input arguments, use variables to retrieve or store data, call the functions, learn about IntelliJ Integrated Development Environment (IDE), write nested loops, for-while loops, etc.
The course will give an excellent understanding to developers to build, compiler, and debug code. It helps professionals master Java programming skills and boost hiring chances through independent and innovative learning.
Become a Java Programmer
Become a Java Programmer course covers several aspects that help beginners solve real-world programming problems. Udacity offers knowledge around loops, functions, conditional statements, syntax, collections, and other Java techniques.
The courses include:
- Java fundamentals cover the OOP concepts like inheritance, encapsulation, classes, etc.
- Cover Java concepts such as Java types, exceptions, and collections.
- Practices of Java programming concepts.
- Covering features like I/O, functional programming, reflection, and serialization.
- Concurrent programming techniques and concepts.
- Exploring design ideas to cover scalable, extensible, and understandable software systems.
- Construction of Java programs and developing production-ready applications.
- Learning Java program code is packaged, compiled, and executed.
- Use Maven to customize and automate the development process.
- Introduction in Java 9 and Modules.
The time estimated for this course is three months (10 hours/week) with prerequisites including basic programming concepts. This Java programming course helps design, code, test, and deploy applications and software. It helps in deploying Java-based applications without experience in the field.
Become a Java Web Developer
If you want to become a software engineer, then Udacity’s course becoming a Java web developer can be an excellent way to start. The course provides intermediate knowledge of Java, and its estimated time is four months (5-10 hours/week). It covers backend development learning and deep dive into java app development.
The course includes modules:
- Spring Boot fundamentals, associated plugins, and integrations.
- Develop GraphQL and REST APIs.
- Understanding APIs, web services, and microservices.
- Learning to consume, secure, test, and document web services and APIs.
- Write and read relational databases using SQL and Java Persistence API (JPA).
- Best practices for authentication and authorization, version control, and Git.
- Build CI/CD pipeline using Jenkins to deploy code.
The program offers real-world projects, reviews, feedback, student community, technical mentor support, Github review, resume support, and LinkedIn profile optimization.
Treehouse Tracks offers a Java curriculum that includes workshops and courses. It contains several programming, web design, and deployment topics to ensure that Java professionals gain proficiency. The Java development course is designed to include games, artificial intelligence, information security, servers, watches, tablets, and smartphones.
The lessons include:
- Basics of Java programming language are used to build an interactive command-line program without prior experience.
- The course includes Arrays for storing the same value in a single variable.
- It includes object-oriented programming concepts that help in interacting with objects.
- The workshop includes strings understanding.
- It covers regular expressions in Java.
- It covers Lambdas anonymous functions in Java 8.
- The course helps in setting up the local development environments.
- It provides knowledge about JavaFX applications that one can use to develop GUIs.
The users can also create a custom curriculum to meet their learning goals on the subject.
Full Stack Java Developer
Simplilearn’s full-stack Java developer course is an intense BootCamp that offers a job guarantee program. The course is partnered with HackerEarth and HIRIST, packed with full-stack skill development lessons. The 6-months program is extensively formed to help candidates obtain an online BootCamp learning format.
Here is an overview of the full-stack Java developer course:
- Store data using MongoDB
- Understand Java backend, middleware, and front-end development
- Develop, test, and deploy the end-to-end application
- Learning 30+ cutting edge tools, including Java and SQL
- Career mentoring from industry experts via live sessions
- Sandboxed cloud labs for real-life app implementation and development
- Industry recognized certification
The course details of full-stack Java developers are:
- Implementation of OOPS using Java with Data Structures
- Understanding of software development fundamentals, Scrum, and Agile methodologies
- Learn Maven to manage project dependencies and GIT to manage version control systems
- Implement Java Servlets, SQL, relational database ORM with Hibernate
- Work with RESTful web services and JDBC
- Implement frameworks and master UI skills with CSS, HTML, etc.
- Deploy continuous integration and automation using Jenkins DevOps tool
- Building 3-tier applications with Angular, Spring framework, SOAP, JUnit5, etc.
- AutoamtSeleium WebDriver for integrated and automated testing
The Complete Java Crash Course
The Java crash course is designed for the intermediate level that starts their venture in the programming language. It includes ubiquitous, portable, and easy-to-use modules that help build desktop applications, Android applications, and website backend systems.
The programmers familiar with Python, C++, and other programming languages can opt for the course to establish Java skills. It offers:
- Live hands-on coding environment
- No requirement to set up the IDEs or SDKs to start the learning process
- Built-in assessments to test the skills
The syllabus of the Java crash course includes:
- Write your first Java program – Hello, Java!
- Understand the Variables and Expressions of Java programming language such as Method Parameters, Arithmetic Expressions, the Fractional Value of the number, Operators, Arrays, Text Value with Char and String.
- Knowledge of conditionals and loops, including while-loops, if-statements, logical operators, foreach-loops, and for-loops.
- Gain the use of objects, classes, and methods such as access specifiers – methods, private data classes contain methods, and class define objects.
- Experience with challenging projects such as board class, starter code, and block class.
The course will offer a certificate to the candidates on completion.
Java Programming by Great Learning
Great Learning offers a Java Programming course for beginners that contains two hours of video content and one quiz. The free certification course is best for beginners for software design and programming, including installing the software and giving insight into basics.
Java programming certification course includes Operators and Variables lessons covering the fundamentals of Java. Here is the syllabus of this course:
- Install Java and Java IDE
- Write the first Java program
- Understand the Data Types and Variables
- Know the Flow Control Statements
- Deep-dive into Operators
- Arrays in Java
The online software engineering courses for Java developers are developed to help large-scale and real-world Data Science applications. The candidates will obtain the course certification to succeed in the market. The candidates will get a completion certificate that can enhance the quality of their resumes.
Java Programming – Derek Banas
If your motive is to learn the core of the Java Language, then Derek Banas has a YouTube video deep-diving into all the aspects of the course.
In the 30-minutes video, Derek has covered several aspects of Java programming languages such as:
- Constructors, Multidimensional arrays, and Strings
- Converting from primitives to Strings and vice versa
- Static, Private, Public, and Protected functions in Java
- Conditional functions and Operators such as if, else-if, else, etc.
- Ternary operators and while functions
It is ideal for individuals with a basic understanding of Java and code.
Java Tutorials for Beginners – ProgrammingKnowledge
ProgrammingKnowledge designed course for Java beginners contains all the essential modules. The course is well-structured and covers all the significant aspects of Java that one might require. The free Java tutorial class offers an understanding of source code, download and installation of software, class, etc.
The step-by-step Java programming tutorials include:
- Introduction and Installation of JDK
- Installation of Eclipse
- Using Eclipse IDE to develop Java project
- Types and Variables
- Getting User Input
- Math and Arithmetic Operators
- Increment and Assignment Operator
- ELSE Statements and Relational Operators
- switch Statement
- Logical Operator
- while and do-while statements
- for Statement
- Arrays and Java String
- Introduction to Methods, Parameters passing, Returning a value,
- Class Constructor
- Objects and Classes
- Method Overloading
- static keywords
- Public, Private, Protected, and this Access Modifiers
- Inheritance and Polymorphism
- Final keyword
Several other chapters are included in the courses that will give a deep insight to beginners about Java.
Intro to Java Programming – Course for Absolute Beginners – freeCodeCamp.org
freeCodeCamp.org is offering a free Java programming language course that is ideal for absolute beginners. The programmers. Even if you have no prior experience of Java, this course can be the best way to kickstart the coding career.
The course content includes:
- Basic Operators
- Variables and Data Types
- If, else, else if statements
- Input and Scanners
- for and while loops
- Nested statements
- Creating classes
- Sets and Lists
- Maps and HashMaps
- STATIC Mean
- Inner Classes
- Overloading Methods and Object Comparisons
The course is ideal for professionals to start their journey with a basic understanding of the Java world.
Getting Started as a Java Developer
The LinkedIn Learning Path “Getting Started as a Java Developer” is a great place to start if you’re aiming to enter the Java development industry.
This Path has several tutorials and courses that can give you a thorough understanding of Java programming and its associated frameworks. It also covers web application development, code debugging, and object-oriented programming.
Ten courses will be covered in this specialization, ranging from data structures to principles of Java programming. Here are some specifics about the course content:
- Essentials of Java such as Structure, Syntax, Objects, and APIs.
- Java algorithms and exception handling.
- Spring Boot framework for web development.
- Management of databases such as Postgres, Oracle, MySQL, and SQL Server using JDBC.
- Java memory management and the collections framework.
Every curriculum session includes materials that encourage interaction and help students grasp the language better, including Q&A and tests. The course is perfect for people who are entirely new to the field and wish to refresh their memory on the fundamentals.
These are some of the top Java online courses ranging from beginners to advanced levels. Above mentioned online Java courses would help the candidates to start their journey in the development world. These courses are cost-effective and come with course material and give an excellent understanding to the candidates. It is a perfect opportunity for better career growth and upskills.
Once you are done with the courses, here are the best Java blogs for programmers to watch out for.