Not sure which framework or theme to use for your WordPress site?
Either you use the one recommended by industry expert, friends or the popular one based on trusted data. There are hundreds of themes in the market and its impossible to try all of them to see what works best for you. Choosing the right WordPress theme is always challenging and time-consuming.
I often receive a request to suggest a theme so thought to put a list of popular one used on top sites. All data is from BuiltWith on 22nd Aug 2018.
Genesis Framework by StudioPress is the most popular themes used in top 100k sites. Genesis is a light-weight, clean code, SEO-optimized, developer friendly and secure theme. Thanks to an active community.
Let’s look into some of the impressive statistics about Genesis.
- Used on more than 630,000 live sites
- Most popular WordPress themes used in Top 10k and 100k sites
The following are some of the famous sites using Genesis.
- Taste of Home
- Comcast South
Genesis framework cost you $59 which includes one sample child theme. However, there are hundreds of brilliant themes available on StudioPress marketplace.
If you want to go with the best, Genesis would be a good choice.
Divi by Elegant Themes is the second most popular used in Top 100k sites. Divi lets you create a beautiful website in minutes with their advanced visual page builder. You can design in real-time without coding skills, here are some of the features highlights.
- 45+ content elements (CTA, accordion, social, gallery, portfolio, sidebar, search, pricing, etc.)
- Global elements to update once and it gets updated everywhere in use.
- Responsive editing, see how it looks on a desktop, tablet, and mobile devices
Divi is translated in 32 languages. Let’s explore how they rank.
- More than 1 million live sites using Divi
- More than 1200 Divi powered websites are in Top 100k sites
Divi is growing gradually. Do you think it can attract high-traffic sites owner to switch and overtake Genesis?
You can join Elegant Themes for $89 and get Divi + all plugins. The good thing is you can use on unlimited sites, and they offer 30-days money back guarantee.
Avada is the number one selling theme of all time on ThemeForest marketplace. It is responsive, and you can customize every element of your site with their powerful editor without coding knowledge.
You can buy Avada for $60, here are some of the features.
- Inbuilt Fusion builder to create an impressive web page
- Demo importer
- SEO and speed optimized
- Advanced typography and virtually customize everything
Let’s check Avada statistics.
- Used on more than 800,00 live sites
- 3rd popular themes used on Top 10k, 100k and 1 million sites
- Most power WP themes used in Canada, Netherlands, Argentina, and Italy
Have you used Avada yet?
Enfold is a multi-purpose theme, available on ThemeForest for $59. There are more than half a million live sites powered by Enfold, and it got all the features you need to build an influential WP site which looks good and load faster.
- Inbuilt Ajax instance search
- Powerful layout and page builder with interactive elements
- WooCommerce, Retina, Translation ready
Enfold is the 5th popular WP themes used on Top 100k and 1 million sites. And, it holds 6th in Top 10k sites.
Salient got more than 200 templates so you can create an expert level web page in minutes. It leverages adaptive image sizing, and some of the other features are.
- 500+ shortcodes, 3500+ icons
- A tailored version of visual composer
- Header and footer options
- Powerful theme options
- Smooth animation
- Multiple post types
Salient is 10th popular WP themes in Top 10k sites and 12th in 100k sites.
The above 5 are popular WP themes used most in Top 100k sites. Let’s visualize them in charts.
But how about their competitors?
Let’s take a look at the following which market share is growing and discussed by comparing the above top 5.
A brilliant theme by Tom Usborne.
GeneratePress is built while keeping performance and SEO in mind. Theme size is less than 30KB. You can get it started for FREE. However, it got a premium version for advanced features.
- Site library to kickstart your next project
- Control spacing
- Configure a how the blog post should look like
- Menu – sticky, off-canvas, secondary
- Hooks and filters to extend the features (developer friendly
Let’s take a look at the usage growth!
People love GeneratePress.
It is 18th popular WP themes used on Top 100k sites and 15th in 1 million sites. GeneratePress powers more than 160,000 live sites.
WP Astra is another light-weight theme which is often compared with Genesis and GeneratePress. Astra powers more than 81,000 live sites, and you can download the FREE version from the WordPress repository.
However, they also got a PRO version with more features like.
- Headers – sticky, page, transparent, customizable design
- Layout – blog, custom, page, site
- Hooks and filters
You can get PRO version for $59.
If you don’t want to take a risk in trying something new then its safe to go with the people already using it. If you are looking for a blog or magazine then Genesis, Astra, and GeneratePress would be a good choice.
Divi and rest would be a good fit for corporate, agency, startup where you need a page builder to create multiple types of pages.