The need for BI tools has been increasing daily, with an increasing demand for efficient data storage and visualization.
Qlik Sense and QlikView are two widely used BI tools and products of the Qlik software company. Both BI tools have their purpose and serve businesses with different needs and requirements. Though QlikView and Qlik Sense share similarities, they have different features that we will discuss in this article.
What is QlikView?
QlikView is a Qlik software product widely used for data visualization and analytics. It helps businesses gain valuable insights for their growth and monitoring. Businesses use the platform to develop data models, dashboards, and analytical applications for analytics and understanding data trends.
The following are key features of QlikView:
- It offers both custom-made and default connectors
- It has a dynamic BI ecosystem feature for better interactions
- QlikView provides both advanced and guided analytics.
- Data Visualisation
- Using QlikView, data can be stored, searched, analyzed, collected, visualized, transformed, and shared.
What is Qlik Sense?
Qlik Sense, launched in 2014, is the next version of QlikView with some additional features. It is a self-service and discovery application business intelligence platform. It can help businesses create quick visualization, immediately share valuable insights, extensively explore data, and explore connections in data.
The following are key features of Qlik Sense:
- The platform provides data analytics, visualization, and exploration.
- It offers advanced search options like Google and associative functions.
- The platform includes mobile and embedded analytics.
- It allows fast and reliable connection with various data sources.
- It offers a modern cloud-native platform.
- Other features like self-service data discovery, drag and drop visualizations, generating personalized reports, and detailed, interactive dashboards.
Difference Between QlikView and Qlik Sense
QlikView and Qlik Sense vary in various attributes, and some of the important ones and mentioned below:
|OLAP Functionality||QlikView performs analytical operations through Online Analytical Processing capabilities.||OLAP functionality is not present in Qlik Sense.|
|ETL Capabilities||Provides Extract, Transfer, and Load features.||Provides ETL feature|
|Self-service Visualisation||It does not offer self-service visualization.||All the Qlik Sense functions are self-serviced.|
|Guided Analytics||It provides guided analytics functionalities to all its users.||It does not provide guided analytics.|
|Data Mining and Analytics||It does not support data mining and analytics.||It supports data mining and analytics.|
|Modern Visualizations||It offers basic visualization.||It offers modern visualization through its attractive and interactive user interface.|
|Associative Indexing Engine||It has a robust associative indexing engine.||Associative Indexing Engine is present here as well.|
|Mobile Support||It supports Apple mobile safari (iOS 10 or later).||It supports Apple mobile safari (iOS 11.0 or later).|
|Filter Requirements||Filter requirements are required in QlikView.||Filter requirements are not needed in Qlik Sense.|
|Data Storytelling||The data storytelling feature is not available in QlikView.||Olik Sense offers a unique feature of data storytelling.|
|Advanced Analytics and Integration||It provides advanced analytics and integration.||It offers comparatively better-advanced analytics and integration.|
|Integrated App Development Environment||QlikView is a development-based tool and thus provides an environment for integrated app development.||Qlik Sense is a visualization tool and thus does not provide integrated app development.|
QlikView vs. Qlik Sense: Final Verdict
QlikView and Qlik Sense are both useful for businesses for different purposes. QlikView is a traditional technical tool for shared business intelligence, reporting, and data analytics.
While, Qilk Sense is a modern data exploration platform with its interactive user interface, modern visualization, and advanced analytics. One can not declare a winner to which tool is better, but it should be selected completely based on the services and features needed for a business.
If you are still confused following are some additional points you can consider before deciding which one is perfect for you:
- Qlik Sense provides faster data loading as compared to Qlik Sense.
- Qlik Sense is user-friendly and simple to use. It does not require technical training or skill, whereas QlikView requires trained and skilled professionals to operate, which requires an investment.
- The language supported by QlikView is only English, but Qlik Sense supports multiple languages like English, Chinese, Japanese, and German.
- QlikView’s licensing and purchasing process is complex as compared to Qlik Sense.
- QlikView is ideal for small, moderate, and large-scale industries, whereas Qlik Sense is ideal for small and moderate industries.
Both tools have different functionalities, as we discussed already, and similarities in providing a rich experience in creating interactive visualizations. Understand your business needs, and then select the right tool for you.
Next, check out essential software for Data Scientists.