~20% of computer users were affected by malware attacks in 2019.
However, to control such attacks, various third-party companies have introduced Antivirus products that provide you all-round protection against such threats.
There is some antivirus software to help you to protect from online threats, but finding a good one is always challenging. The following are free ones which offer basic features.
Let’s see what works for you.
Avast is an all in one antivirus software for protecting you from threats occurring via the internet, email, local files, P2P connections, and much more.
Avast is one of the best antivirus software which provides constant virus protection, called as on-access or resident protection for FREE.
Avast is fast, lightweight software, and available for Windows, MAC & Android.
- Provides Ona-access protection from viruses and other threats
- Easy installation
- It scans browser plugins to find installs that have a poor reputation
- ‘Heuristics Engine’ allows you to detect previously unknown viruses
- Includes a ‘silent mode’ which inhibits notifications to pop up on the screen
Verdict: It provides most of the features for all-round protection of your PC. However, you may see ads once in a blue moon and also need to register once every year.
With proper encryption of files and password protection, Kaspersky’s Security Cloud does a great job of guarding your PC, Android, and IOS devices. It comes with top-notch security technologies that can automatically analyze real-time data and alert you whenever a threat is detected.
It can identify viruses, infected files, and even suspicious sites. Being free software, it’s usually not expected to receive updates, but Security Cloud does come with automatic updates. What could be better than that!
Get real-time protection against threats with Adaware Antivirus. It scans your computer in the background for malicious activities, and you can even run individual scans on demand. Once it detects a potential threat, it prevents the malicious processes and notifies you of the applications that are creating such problems.
Apart from that, it has:
- Email protection to ensure all incoming and outgoing emails are clean
- Web protection to alert you if the website you’re visiting is unsafe
- Network protection that enables a firewall on your WiFi and home networks
Another very useful feature is their parental control, which helps you restrict your children’s online activities to certain boundaries.
An all-in-one antivirus, ZoneAlarm does more than you’d expect for a free service. It can block viruses and malware, help you browse online without any threats, protect your PC from hackers, and maintain your privacy at the same time.
It can tackle threats like Trojan horses, spyware, viruses, worms, bots, and other different kinds. ZoneAlarm also safeguards your wireless networks with firewalls and gives you many options and customizations for the security scans, so that you select what works best for your PC.
One of the most interesting features is the Gamer Mode. It basically allows you to suppress any scans, updates, or requests while playing games so you can enjoy without interruptions.
AVG, an abbreviation for Anti-Virus Guard, developed by AVG Technologies, is a subsidiary of Avast Software. AVG recognized risks by matching them with those in its database.
AVG is excellent in detecting malware. However, it is relatively slower at performing system scans.
- Excellent malware blocking
- Do not track prevents advertisers from tracking your location
- Polished User Interface
- Blocks malicious URLs
- Live chat support along with email support
- Game mode to prevent notifications of updates and scans
Verdict: AVG antivirus has a Crisp User Interface bundled with the high-quality backing along with other mainstream features.
Bitdefender, founded in 2001, provides all-round protection against Viruses, Malware, and Web issues. Virus definitions are regularly updated in the background.
The best thing about Bitdefender is that it does not lag your PC since it is very light. It is much easier to use because of its simplicity.
- It has a light or no impact on the performance of the system. It can work entirely in the background
- Email support
- Excellent protection against phishing
- No way to start a quick or scheduled scan
- On-access protection for viruses and malware
Verdict: If you need a straightforward antivirus tool without much fuss or customizability, Bitdefender is an appropriate choice for you.
Sophos Home, founded by the Sophos group, provides commercial-grade security to home users for free.
Sophos protects your PC & MAC from viruses, malware and also block websites that may install malware on your device.
Its unwanted app detection feature always looks out for apps that might be trying to install themselves on your PC.
- Supports Windows as well as Linux (Mac and Android too)
- Configuring the management dashboard is easy
- You can see all the device protected by Sophos on the dashboard
- Instead of deleting the threat, malware, or virus automatically, it uses its Virus alert feature, which displays an alert for the next action.
- Clean User Interface
- Robust remote monitoring and management
Verdict: It is highly suitable for home users since it is straightforward to use with top-notch features.
Comodo, which was formed with a motto of “Creating trust online,” has rightly stood by its values and provides its users robust protection from malware.
Comodo let you schedule the scan, so you don’t get interrupted during work.
- It has a quarantine which stores potentially infected files in a folder which other programs cannot access
- The sandbox technology creates a virtual environment for the program, thereby keeping your PC safe from viruses and Trojans
- It has real-time scanning
- ‘Heuristics Engine’ allows you to detect previously unknown viruses
- It can also scan removable devices like USB drives, CDs, DVDs, and even cell phones
- Its smart detection of user’s browsing behavior notably reduces the number of notifications over a period
Verdict: If you want a feature-packed browser for home usage, Comodo is indeed the right browser for you.
Avira, with over hundreds of million users, is one of the immensely popular antiviruses available in the market. It can be customized according to our needs. The simplicity of its interface attracts a lot of users.
Avira provides PC protection against viruses, malware, adware, spyware, backdoor program, phishing, etc.
- It includes Heuristic tools
- It allows you to start the antivirus program during the boot process
Verdict: Free useful add-ons, all-round protection, and fastest quick scan are a few parameters that give Avira a winning edge.
Panda, a subsidiary of Panda technologies, is a great antivirus software which virus protection, malware detection, anti-phishing, and much more to protect our PCs from different threats.
One of the prominent features of Panda Antivirus is that it collects threat detection techniques from other users that have the program already installed, which grants the user protection against new and upcoming threats.
- It is one of the lightest antivirus solutions available
- Automatic updates
- URL and web monitoring
- Automatic USB protection
- Excellent malware protection
The above listed FREE antivirus, malware protection software should help you with the basic protection. However, if you need more, then you should consider going for premium antivirus.