31.9% of computer users were affected by malware attacks in 2016.
However, to control such attacks, various third party companies have introduced Antivirus products that provide you all-round protection against such threats.
There is some antivirus software to help you to protect from online threats, but finding a good one is always challenging.
Let’s see what works for you.
Avast is an all in one antivirus software for protecting you from threats occurring via the internet, email, local files, P2P connections, and much more.
Avast is one of the best antivirus software which provides constant virus protection, called as on-access or resident protection for FREE.
Avast is fast, lightweight software, and available for Windows, MAC & Android.
- Provides Ona-access protection from viruses and other threats
- Easy installation
- It scans browser plugins to find installs that have a poor reputation
- ‘Heuristics Engine’ allows you to detect previously unknown viruses
- Includes a ‘silent mode’ which inhibits notifications to pop up on the screen
Verdict: It provides most of the features for all-round protection of your PC. However, you may see ads once in a blue moon and also need to register once every year.
McAfee is one of the well-reputed security solution companies protecting consumers and enterprises.
McAfee Security Scan Plus for users check your PC for all types of viruses, threats in your applications.
AVG, an abbreviation for Anti-Virus Guard, developed by AVG Technologies, is a subsidiary of Avast Software. AVG recognized risks by matching them with those in its database.
AVG is excellent in detecting malware. However, it is relatively slower at performing system scans.
- Excellent malware blocking
- Do not track prevents advertisers from tracking your location
- Polished User Interface
- Blocks malicious URLs
- Live chat support along with email support
- Game mode to prevent notifications of updates and scans
Verdict: AVG antivirus has a Crisp User Interface bundled with the high-quality backing along with other mainstream features.
Bitdefender, founded in 2001, provides all-round protection against Viruses, Malware, and Web issues. Virus definitions are regularly updated in the background.
The best thing about Bitdefender is that it does not lag your PC since it is very light. It is much easier to use because of its simplicity.
- It has a light or no impact on the performance of the system. It can work entirely in the background
- Email support
- Excellent protection against phishing
- No way to start a quick or scheduled scan
- On-access protection for viruses and malware
Verdict: If you need a straightforward antivirus tool without much fuss or customizability, Bitdefender is an appropriate choice for you.
Sophos Home, founded by the Sophos group, provides commercial-grade security to home users for free.
Sophos protects your PC & MAC from viruses, malware and also block websites that may install malware on your device.
Its unwanted app detection feature always looks out for apps that might be trying to install themselves on your PC.
- Supports Windows as well as Linux (Mac and Android too)
- Configuring the management dashboard is easy
- You can see all the device protected by Sophos on the dashboard
- Instead of deleting the threat, malware, or virus automatically, it uses its Virus alert feature, which displays an alert for the next action.
- Clean User Interface
- Robust remote monitoring and management
Verdict: It is highly suitable for home users since it is straightforward to use with top-notch features.
Comodo, which was formed with a motto of “Creating trust online,” has rightly stood by its values and provides its users robust protection from malware.
Comodo let you schedule the scan, so you don’t get interrupted during work.
- It has a quarantine which stores potentially infected files in a folder which other programs cannot access
- The sandbox technology creates a virtual environment for program thereby keeping your PC safe from viruses and Trojans
- It has real-time scanning
- ‘Heuristics Engine’ allows you to detect previously unknown viruses
- It can also scan removable devices like USB drives, CDs, DVDs, and even cell phones
- Its smart detection of user’s browsing behavior notably reduces the number of notifications over a period
Verdict: If you want a feature-packed browser for home usage, Comodo is indeed the right browser for you.
Avira, with over hundreds of million users, is one of the immensely popular antiviruses available in the market. It can be customized according to our needs. The simplicity of its interface attracts a lot of users.
Avira provides PC protection against viruses, malware, adware, spyware, backdoor program, phishing, etc.
- It includes Heuristic tools
- It allows you to start the antivirus program during the boot process
Verdict: Free useful add-ons, all-round protection, and fastest quick scan are a few parameters that give Avira a winning edge.
Panda Free Antivirus
Panda Free Antivirus, a subsidiary of Panda technologies, is a great antivirus software which virus protection, malware detection, anti-phishing, and much more to protect our PCs from different threats.
One of the prominent features of Panda Antivirus is that it collects threat detection techniques from other users that have the program already installed, which grants the user protection against new and upcoming threats.
- It is one of the lightest antivirus solutions available
- Automatic updates
- URL and web monitoring
- Automatic USB protection
- Excellent malware protection
Verdict: If you are low on space but don’t want to compromise on your device’s security, you should opt for Panda Free Antivirus
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not essentially an antivirus software. It does not protect your PC from infections and threats. It cleans out all the malware that is already in your system.
- Detects and clears out all the malware detected on your PC
- The chameleon feature disguises Malwarebytes so the malicious programs can’t find it
- Removes adware
- It has a quarantine to store potential threats
- It also scans for rootkits which are hidden malware and other intrusive software that burrows deep into windows and launches upon every startup
Verdict: Malwarebytes is not designed to be a complete antivirus program for your PC. It supports your original antivirus program and helps in the detection of the latest and most dangerous malware.
ZoneAlarm is yet another all in one tool to detect viruses, spyware, Trojans, and it also blocks keyloggers.
- Includes a firewall by default
- It allows you to manage the Internet and network access to particular applications
- A virtual browser which encrypts whatever you type in the browser thus preventing keyloggers from causing harm
- It checks downloads against its directory of known threats and also generates a heuristic check
- Easy to use
- It provides a free email support
Verdict: It is one of the very few tools that provide a firewall for free.
The above listed FREE antivirus, malware protection software should help you to secure your Windows & MAC computer.