It is a well-known fact that Microsoft Word is one of the most popular word editors.
As a result, most organizations or businesses use it for different purposes. It offers an all-around solution to them for writing proposals, contracts, quotes, and more sales documents.
It is obvious that all such official and professionally used documents require the signature of one or more parties. So, they also want a way to instantly and conveniently add signatures without the worries of hand-signing, printing, or scanning.
Thanks to Microsoft for making it possible to add signatures to a word document. And you would be happier to know MS Word has more features that make working quite easy. These features include the facility to add additional lines below your signature like name or address.
All these features make the documents look more professional and trustworthy. In other words, you can say that MS Word has completely packed features for businesses.
Types of Signatures You can Add in MS Word
There are two types of signatures in Word.
- Electronic Signature: An electronic signature is a virtual mark you add to a document. This is either in the form of a hand-typed text or an image of the signature. These work just like hand–typed ones and therefore are considered legal as our actual signature.
- Digital Signature: Digital signatures, on the other hand, are comparatively secure and encrypted marks that need dedicated software. In addition to special software, they also require a digital certificate from the sender as well as from the recipient. This certificate can be obtained from an issuing authority.
How to Add an Electronic Signature to A Word Document?
Electronic signatures are widely in use due to their accessibility and security. Below are the simple steps using which you can add electronic signatures to your Word file.
Preparing the Signature File
First of all, you need to create an image file for your signature. The image file formats that MS word allows include .gif, .bmp, .jpg, and .png. There are primarily two ways to create an image file for your signature.
#1. Scan the Handwritten Signature:
- Handwrite your signature on the center of a blank white paper.
- Scan the handwritten signature and save the scanned image on your system.
#2. Using the Design Tool, Canva
Canva gives you a much more professional-looking signature created for your email, resume, or anything.
- Open your Canva application and sign in using your details. You can sign up instantly if you don’t have an account with Canva.
- On the home screen of Canva, select the option ‘custom size’. Give the appropriate width and height and click on create a new design.
- From the left panel, click on the option ‘Design’ and search for a signature. It will showcase all signature-related design templates.
- From the list, select the signature design that you love. The example below showcases the selected signature style.
Now you can simply edit the sample signature with your own. You can also replace the background with your personalized color and remove additional marks or designs that come with templates.
When you are done with editing, you can simply download the File in PNG or JPG format.
For this, on the top of the Canva screen, click on File and then Download. Choose the file format that you want the image to download in and click on download.
Adding Signature File to Word Document
- Open the MS Word document to which you want to add your signature.
- Click on the “Insert” menu and select the option “Pictures”.
- Choose the signature image and edit as per your requirement using the tab Picture Tools Format.
- Place the edited signature image where you want it to place.
By following these steps, you can add your electronic signature to your Word document. It just takes a few seconds to add previously scanned and saved signatures to the file.
You may also want to explore the best eSignature solutions for personal to business documents.