How do online businesses secure their user’s and their company’s confidential information? It is through an SSL certificate.
SSL certificate helps to protect websites and provides security for online communications. This article will give you all the information about SSL certificates, How to get a cheap SSL certificate from SSL.com, and other best alternatives.
What is an SSL certificate?
SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer, a digital certificate used to authenticate a website’s identity and security. It is a security protocol enabling an encrypted connection. SSL certificates are essential for businesses to secure online transactions and customer information.
SSL provides security by making the data transferred between users and websites impossible to read. It uses encryption algorithms to prevent hackers from accessing the data in transit. SSL certificate has various types based on different validation levels. The following are six main types:
- Extended Validation certificates
- Organization Validated certificates
- Domain Validated certificates
- Wildcard SSL certificates
- Multi-Domain SSL certificates
- Unified Communications certificates
Why is an SSL certificate essential?
SSL certificate helps websites secure data like login credentials, credit card or bank account details, medical records, legal documents, or other important information. It helps to verify the website’s ownership, prevent hackers from getting information from the website and build trust.
Businesses have to ask for personal information from users like credit card details and confidential health or financial information. SSL certificate plays a significant role in keeping this information secure and safe from hackers. SSL certificate is required to get an HTTPS web address. HTTPS is a more secure form of HTTP, showing that the website is secure and encrypted by SSL.
How to get an SSL certificate?
Following are the steps you need to follow to get your cheap SSL certificate from SSL.com:
- Purchase: The first step is to purchase the SSL certificate from the website. The platform offers a wide variety of SSL certificates you need to compare and choose what fits best for your requirements. When you make your purchase, your SSL.com account will be created automatically, and you can manage your certificates through the account.
- CSR: The next step is to generate and submit CSR. CSR has information to identify and secure a website uniquely. Follow the instructions to submit CSL to SSL.com.
- Validation: The third step is validating your request by verifying that you own the domain. You will have to choose one of the methods for validation, like through email or uploading a file.
- Installation: You will get your SSL certificate through email, or you can download it directly from SSL.com. The final step is to set up and install the SSL certificate in your web browser.
Find below seven of the best alternatives to SSL.com to get a cheap SSL certificate:
Introduced in 2016, ZeroSSL serves over 500,000 customers worldwide by providing affordable and trusted SSL certificates. The platform works on three principles which are Accessibility, Automation, and Usability.
The following are some features of ZeroSSL:
- It offers 90 days certificate to protect your website for free; this is enough time to determine how it is. You can renew it later for up to 12 years under the premium package.
- The platform provides industry-standard HTTPS encryption, which takes about 10 minutes to set up.
- ZeroSSL allows multiple domains to be registered by both certificates
- It offers various easy and quick domain verification options: Automatic CSR, One-Step email verification, CNAME validation, and HTTP file upload.
- It allows managing all the certificates from a single window.
The advantage of ZeroSSL is that it is trusted by almost all browsers and provides excellent customer service.
Namecheap, popularly known for domain registration, also offers SSL certificates. The platform provides a premium level of security, service, and product.
The following are some features of Namecheap:
- The platform offers diversified certificates with three types of domain validation: organization validation, domain validation, and extended validation.
- Namecheap provides excellent customer service.
- Other essential features of the platform are Robust security, Browser compatibility, and Legitimate CS+As.
Namecheap is a reliable platform for providing affordable SSL certificates for various businesses.
SSL Store is one of the leading SSL certificate providers in the world. The platform has all the major SSL brands like GeoTrust, RapiSSL, Thawte, and the global leader in SSL vending, Verisign.
The following are some features of the SSL Store:
- It provides a price match guarantee, i.e., it matches the lowest price of SSL found anywhere on the Internet.
- The platform provides 24/7 customer support guiding their customer on every general or technical issue.
- The SSL store provides a knowledge base to help you make an intelligent purchase.
- The tool allows you to compare different SSL packages before purchasing.
The SSL store offers fantastic discounts and deals to its customers, which is why it is so popular.
SSL2BUY is a reliable and authorized reseller of all-powerful SSL brands: Comodo, GeoTrust, Thawte, RapidSSL, GlobalSign, AlphaSSL, and Symantec. The platform allows you to compare the prices of all SSL brands before making a purchase.
The following are some features of SSL2BUY:
- It is a global company offering SSL certificates to 69 countries, including China, UAE, Russia, etc., where the Internet is heavily restricted.
- The platform is one stop for all website security requirements.
- It offers competitive pricing along with excellent features.
- It also offers a money-back guarantee as well to all its products.
SSL2BUY provides highly professional customer support and believes in keeping everything as simple as possible.
DigiCert is one of the world’s premier providers of SSL, client, and multi-domain certificates to organizations. It offers straightforward price plans based on the certification type.
The following are some features of Digicert:
- The platform is 99.9% compatible with web and mobile browsers.
- It offers an unlimited server license policy.
- DigiCert offers Domain Validated SSL for small domain validation, organization validated SSL for business validation, and Extended validated SSL for big business platforms like eCommerce.
- It also provides SAN and wildcard certificates to secure multiple domains and sub-domains.
Some general businesses like Facebook, PayPal, Instagram, and LinkedIn Corporation have adopted DigiCert SSL certificates.
Network Solutions is one of the oldest web hostings companies offering SSL certificates.
The following are some features of Network Solutions:
- It offers 99 percent browser compatibility.
- The platform provides a wide range of SSL options.
- It is compliant with industry government regulations.
- It provides a guaranteed value of over $50,000
SSL certificates provided by Network Solutions are Xpress Domain Validation, Basic SSL Certificate, Advanced SSL Certificate, Wildcard SSL Certificate, and EV SSL Certificate.
Comodo is one of the trusted certificate providers on the market. The platform’s SSL certificates are Domain Validated SSL certificates, Organisations Validated SSL certificates, and Extended Validated SSL certificates.
The following are some features of Comodo:
- Comodo certificates can secure both www and non-www domains.
- It provides a warranty of $10,000.
- The platform has no limit on the times you can re-issue the certificates.
- It offers a 90-day free trial.
Comodo provides two free security tools – PCI Scanner and Vulnerability Scanner– in addition to SSL certificates.
The Internet has solved our problems from paying bills, running a business, banking, online shopping, and many more. But it also comes with risks of getting your confidential information into the hands of hackers. Getting a cheap SSL certificate from a reputable company will help a website handle data securely and safely.
It not only helps to authenticate and secure your website but also helps to provide a better user experience, builds customer trust, and operates your business per industry security standards. Users should also be aware of using websites with HTTPS addresses which means that the website uses an SSL certificate.