Kali Linux comes with more than 600 preinstalled penetration/security tools.
Having these preinstalled makes Kali Linux a true penetration testing platform for the security engineer.
Tools are categorized as follows:-
- Information Gathering
- Sniffing & Spoofing
- Vulnerability Analysis
- Exploitation Tools
- Password Attacks
- Wireless Attacks
- Forensic Tools
- Maintaining Access
- Hardware Hacking
- Web Applications
- Stress Testing
- Reverse Engineering
- Reporting Tools
To see a complete list of tools – click here
In this article, I will explain how to install Kali Linux on VMWare Fusion.
- Disk Space – Minimum 10 GB
- Architecture – i386 or adm64
- RAM – Minimum 512 MB
Download Kali Linux ISO File
Download the necessary ISO file from the official download page. For this demo, I have installed it as highlighted below.
Its more than 3 GB so based on the Internet speed, it may take a few minutes.
Installing Kali Linux
This assumes you have download kali-linux-2.0-amd64.iso and ready to install Kali Linux.
- Open VMWare Fusion on your PC (I am using MAC in this demo)
- Click on Add icon and New
- Select the installation method as “Install from disk or image” and click on Continue
- Click on “Use another disc or disc image” and locate the downloaded iso file. It will appear in the list as shown below, click on Continue
- Select Other >> Other 64-bit and click on Continue
- Here you will notice, I have hard disk capacity is 8 GB but the minimum requirement to install 10 GB so I will go to customize Settings and increase the hard disk space.
- Click on Customize Settings
- Enter the name and save it
- Click on “Hard Disk (IDE)
- I will increase to 15 GB and click on Apply
- Click on the Play button to begin the installation
- You will be greeted with the following screen when I will select “Graphical Install” and press enter to proceed with the installation
- Select the language and click on Continue
- Select the location then continue
- Configure the keyboard to be used and click on continue
- Select the ethernet to be used. As I am using VMWare on MAC, I will be sharing with MAC ethernet so selected “no ethernet card” and click on Continue
- You will get a notification that “No network interface detected” but that’s fine. Click on continue
- Enter the Hostname and continue
- Enter the root password and click on Continue
- Select “Guided- user entire disk” and click on Continue
- You will get partition disk information that will data will be erased but that’s ok because there is nothing at the moment. Click on continue
- Select the partition as “all files in one partition (recommended for new users) and continue
- Confirmation before installation start writing changes to disk, click on continue
- Select “Yes” on final confirmation and click on continue
- It will take a few minutes to install the Kali Linux and during installation, you may see the following progress bar
- It will prompt you to configure the package manager but I will proceed with no to keep the installation procedure simple.
- Select Yes to install the GRUB boot loader on the hard disk and continue
- Select the disk to make it bootable and click on Continue
- And finally, you will have an “Installation Complete” message. Click on continue
- It will take few seconds will boot the Kali Linux and give you a login screen as below.
- Enter the password, which you configured during installation and you will see the first screen as shown below.
Woah! It’s a bit long, isn’t it? Well, worth it!
So this was the installation guide, and I hope it helps you to install Kali Linux on PC or macOS using VMware fusion and all of you to explore. If you are a beginner, I would recommend taking this Kali Linux tutorial.
- Tagged in:
More great readings on Security
Protect Your Web Applications and APIs with G-Core Labs WAFAmrita Pathak on June 10, 2022
Create an Incident Report in Minutes With These TemplatesSatish Shethi on June 6, 2022
Software Composition Analysis (SCA): Everything You Need to Know in 2022Amrita Pathak on May 26, 2022
Best On-premise Password Manager for Your Business – PassworkHitesh Sant on June 1, 2022
How to Scan and Fix Log4j Vulnerability?Amrita Pathak on May 10, 2022
How to Protect Your WordPress Site with iThemes Security ProHitesh Sant on May 7, 2022
Join Geekflare Newsletter
Every week we share trending articles and tools in our newsletter. More than 10,000 people enjoy reading, and you will love it too.