Finding it hard to search for the best hosting platform for Node.js? We got you covered.
From its inception in 2009, it has grown in popularity, and now it is used by many businesses out there. Business and industry sector mainly use Node.js.
And why not?
It can be used for both end-to-end application development and one aspect of an app.
Let’s look at where Node.js is used.
If you own a business that revolves around a rapid environment and wants to be productive, then Node.js is an excellent choice. Node.js is highly scalable and is ideal for building modern applications. This also means that it scales well without investing too much in hardware.
Not to mention, it also supports all-time favorite Node Package Manager(NPM). The package has a significant number of modules that let you build your application with ease.
There are more hosting providers for WordPress or other PHP application than Node.js. It’s always challenging is to find a reliable and secure platform.
Technically, there are two most preferred way to host Node.js application.
- Managed – You focus on application code and infrastructure is maintained by a service provider.
- Cloud VM/VPS – you get the OS of your choice where you install, deploy, and manage everything on your own.
Which one to choose?
Well, if you don’t want to get into system administration, then managed platform would be a better choice. However, if you are ready to spend time in installation, administration and have the right skills, then you can go fo Cloud VM.
Let’s explore the platform…
The market-leading cloud platform is one of the best choices to host your modern applications. AWS got thousands of services to meet every requirement.
You may either choose to provision a VM and install Node.js and relevant software or go with Elastic Beanstalk.
It supports the following language.
- and more…
The advantage of using Elastic Beanstalk is that you don’t have to worry about infrastructure. You can deploy your application with your favorite development release tools.
- Load balancing and auto-scaling to scale your application to meet the demands
- Inbuilt monitoring
- Easy integration with other AWS services
- Pay as you go
AWS offers FREE tier which would be good to start with.
Starting from $9 per month, you get 1GB RAM, 20GB SDD storage and 5TB network traffic. Kamatera gives you an option to choose the Nodejs version and data center location.
A great option if you are looking to host your Nodejs in the Middle East, China, Europe, or North America.
A2 Hosting, that’s right. You heard it right. A2 is not just famous for WordPress, but they offer Node.js solution too.
A2 is a cost-effective solution. You can get it started from as low as $3.92 per month.
Every plan comes with unlimited storage.
However, scaling depends on the package you choose. If you are doing rapid development and deployment, then you may want to try out other providers.
Give A2 Hosting a try as they come with anytime money-back guarantee.
DigitalOcean offers one-click installation and deployment for Node.js
DO is famous among developers and you can get it started from as low as $5 per month (Get $10 credit).
If you want to install Node.js on your own, then you can request a plain droplet with your choice of OS and install it.
DO offers other infrastructure services such as load balancer, object storage, cloud firewall, etc. which helps you to build an enterprise-ready application.
You can scale up or down as needed. Pricing is predictable as you pay for what size of a droplet (VM) you choose.
Heroku is my personal favorite when it comes to app hosting. It’s developer-friendly.
I have personally used it for hosting Ruby on Rails apps. That means it supports a wide range of environment and languages, including Node.js.
Heroku is part of the Salesforce organization. They offer a FREE plan which includes 512MB memory, one web or worker to get you started.
- It offers seamless 3rd party integration.
- You can deploy your app across multiple regions
- The documentation is a bliss ideal for both novice and experienced developers
- Comes with tons of plugins and services
Heroku is an excellent choice for beginners and experienced developers, thanks to its fantastic documentation.
Already using Heroku and looking for an alternative? Continue reading the following…
You can get it started in FREE with Redhat OpenShift. It’s PaaS (platform-as-a-service).
- OpenShift offers automatic scaling which means your app will never slow down when traffic increase
- Access your database efficiently using a built-in private feature
- You can host a maximum of 3 free applications without any charge
If you are a new developer who is tinkering with your new Node.js application, OpenShift is for you.
Guess what, you can use a custom domain in the FREE plan too — a perfect platform for the individual & enterprise, both.
Experience Google’s low latency network and host your application where Google products are.
There are four available options for you.
- App Engine – no need to manage the infrastructure as Google does for you. It’s a PaaS solution.
- Compute Engine – get a VM with the choice of your OS and install it the way you want. You manage the server and have full control.
- Kubernetes Engine – Run Node.js application in a container.
- Cloud Functions – A serverless solution where you create your function to execute on Google’s infrastructure. You pay for code runs.
Google offers $300 worth of credit to try their services. If you are looking to build enterprise-ready applications, then Google Cloud sounds perfect.
A fully managed, automated hosting platform.
Platform.sh let you host node.js applications in a cluster for better availability & performance.
- Faster application cloning
- Git integration
- Agile scaling
- Micro-services ready
- Free SSL certificates
Platform.sh is optimized for modern development frameworks. Support is 24/7.
A specialized in hosting modern web and mobile application. By the name, you can say it supports only Node.js, but that’s not the case.
NodeChef supports multiple application languages – Python, Go, PHP, Java, etc.
NodeChef host your application inside a docker container and have an option to choose between SQL and NoSQL database.
Some of the incomplete features are:
- One-click deployment
- Real-time logs
- Scalable with one click
- Automatic SSL provisioning
- Monitoring metrics
- Multiple data center locations
Pricing starts at $9 per month, and billing is hourly.
A list won’t complete without including Microsoft Azure. One of the market leaders in cloud computing platform got a data center in 54 regions.
Similar to the other two leading GCP and AWS, you have multiple options.
- Virtual Machines – Provision Linux or Windows server to do your environment setup.
- App Service – Fully managed a platform where you deploy your code, and rest will be taken care of by Azure.
- Functions – serverless computing to scale and meet the demands.
You pay for what you use.
UK based hosting platform, a good choice if your audience is in Europe. HostPresto offers easy deployment, free backup, SSH access, and all other standard features.
Their servers are Nodejs optimized for optimal performance.
I hope that you find the ideal platform your Node.js hosting needs. Most of them provide a trial or free credit, so try them. Once your code is live, don’t forget to scan your Node.js application for a security vulnerability.
If you are new to Node.js, then check out this famous online course to learn and understand NodeJS.