Selenium is a popular open-source testing framework. It is used for web, mobile, and other similar applications.
Selenium can be used for web application testing along with test automation frameworks like Selenium WebDriver or Appium. Selenium supports Java, .NET, Python, and many other languages.
This article will discuss some of the best online courses and books to learn Selenium that you can use to improve your skills.
How Does Selenium Help in Browser Testing?
- Selenium allows you to automate everything you usually do manually in the browser, such as typing, clicking on buttons, and submitting forms.
- With the new remote web driver functionality, it is also possible to test if your app works on different browsers.
- Selenium also has other uses beyond just automating browser tests: it can extract information from the DOM (Document Object Model), which is the hierarchy of elements on a webpage, like text and images.
- You can use Selenium to test your app on different browsers and operating systems, even if you don’t have access.
Next, we will explore the features and limitations of Selenium.
Features and Limitations of Selenium
Selenium has many features that make it so powerful:
- Automatic navigation between elements in your page (by clicking links or buttons)
- Automation of user input via keyboard shortcuts or mouse clicks
- Integration with other tools, such as JMeter
Along with the fantastic features, it offers a range of drawbacks which include:
- More time is required for testers to write test cases
- It does not offer any tools for test management
- No built-in reporting functionality
- It only works with one browser
- It lacks some of the most cutting-edge modern features
Let’s look at some reasons to learn Selenium.
Reasons to Learn Selenium
In a world full of advanced technology, you should learn Selenium to make your career strong and effective. Here are some of the reasons you should consider:
- Learning Selenium will save you a lot of time and help you be more productive at work.
- Open-source software is an excellent option for web developers. It’s free to use and often more secure, reliable, flexible, and customizable than proprietary software.
- Selenium supports parallel test execution, which reduces the overall execution time.
- Selenium has enormous community support. There are many forums where you can ask questions, get help from fellow developers, or read articles about Selenium. You can also find many tutorials online that teach different aspects of this language and its usage.
- Selenium works well with continuous integration tools like Jenkins or Hudson.
- Selenium is a powerful test automation tool that can save you a ton of time and energy.
Check out the prerequisites before learning Selenium.
Prerequisites Before Learning Selenium
- Practice Test-Driven Development (TDD): Test-driven development (TDD) is a software development process involving tests before writing code. It’s also a programming technique that consists in writing tests before writing code and relying on repeating a concise development cycle.
- Programming Languages: The first thing you should learn is programming languages. You must understand the basics of how to program and how to write code, especially if you want to be able to work with Selenium in your daily life.
- Web Services Testing Knowledge: Web Services are a set of standards that allow the exchange of data between two applications over the Internet. The most common example is when you send an email from your Outlook application, which goes through the server, then reaches your friend’s inbox on their phone.
- HTML, CSS, and DOM: HTML, CSS, and DOM are the major prerequisites for learning Selenium. HTML is the language used to create web pages. It’s like a blueprint for how your website should look and function. CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets and styles HTML elements such as headings, paragraphs or lists, etc.
Now let’s explore some of the online courses to learn Selenium better. ✅
Selenium WebDriver with Java
The course Selenium Web Driver with Java provided by Udemy is a high-rated Selenium learning program that has helped millions of students worldwide to master the skill.
The course extensively covers 54 video lectures which you can access any time of the day and take the best result.
You will not only have in-depth knowledge of Selenium and the basics of Java but also understand its application and the challenges faced in the real world.
With the help of dedicated trainers provided in the course, you can clear your doubts at any point and ace the preparation for your job interview.
You will be to automate every website on the net with all feasible test cases using Java. You will improve your coding skills and have a better view of automation guidelines and code quality standards.
Selenium Webdriver with PYTHON
Udemy provides this extensive course on Selenium, namely Selenium Webdriver with PYTHON. This includes 17 hours of on-demand video, including live projects, which gives you ample knowledge on using Python and Selenium together.
You will get a real-time experience on live websites and a proper insight into the world of Selenium Python API methods.
Frameworks like PyTest that help in integration testing are covered in the course. The vast design of the program makes you ready for any interview you want to crack.
Selenium 4 WebDriver with Java
The Selenium 4 WebDriver with Java, a 140-hour course curated by Udemy, shows you the path to mastering the skill of automating any web-based application using Selenium.
The course comes with several pdf materials, video lectures, and course code that enhances the learning process.
From working on live projects to designing frameworks, you get a real-time experience with this course. You can learn this course without prior knowledge of Java and master it.
Create Your First Automation Script Using Selenium and Java
The Create Your First Automation Script Using Selenium and Java course is designed by Coursera to help you learn the Selenium automation tool from scratch.
This course teaches you the basics, like utilizing the Eclipse IDE, launching a new project, and practicing frequently used Selenium commands.
Learn how to use TestNG to write your first test case. Learn to Interact with standard web application elements like textboxes and regular buttons through hands-on, practical experience. Understand to Run automation script on Chrome Browser.
A specially made course for all Selenium enthusiasts is available on LinkedIn, known as Learning Selenium. Your guide and friend, Meaghan Lewis, makes your journey easy.
The course helps you learn the basics of Selenium and simplifies your learning process, even if you are a newcomer.
It teaches you how to practice creating good tests using variables and functions and organize tests into sequences that can evolve. The course helps you to set up the test-writing framework, WebDriver, and Selenium Grid.
It also covers installation and basic use cases. It helps you learn how to set up a test suite and write clear test code.
Selenium Certification Training Course
The Selenium Certification Training Course provided by Edureka guides you to learn and hone the skill of using this highly popular automation tool, Selenium.
The course helps you understand the usage of supportive plugins to understand the concepts of WebDriver, Grid, IDE, handling IFrames, Alerts, and Modal Dialogs box.
Get lifetime access to the course through Edureka. Have access to hands-on projects based on your learnings, which makes learning interesting and interactive. Further, you can receive Personalized Learning Support.
Selenium Framework Design in Data-Driven Testing
This book by Carl Cocchiaro uses a methodical process to create Selenium frameworks, covering every step of the procedure meticulously and precisely. Using page object modeling and data-driven testing, the author has explained every concept in simple words.
|Selenium Framework Design in Data-Driven Testing: Build data-driven test frameworks using Selenium…||$44.79||Buy on Amazon|
The book also covers the design and construction of a data-driven test framework using Selenium WebDriver, Java, and TestNG Moreover. The information is presented in this book in a way that makes learning easy, even for someone just starting with Selenium.
Hands-On Selenium WebDriver With Java
The book authored by Boni Garcia not only teaches you the basics of Selenium but guides you extensively about Selenium WebDriver.
|Hands-On Selenium WebDriver with Java: A Deep Dive into the Development of End-to-End Tests||$46.82||Buy on Amazon|
The best part about the book is that it adopts a practice-based learning philosophy which helps in the better retention of the material.
Test Automation Using Selenium WebDriver with Java
This book, written by Mr. Navneesh Garg, is the go-to book for beginners and advanced automation users.
It meticulously covers the installation, configuration, and creation of an automation framework using Selenium WebDriver and its components through a step-by-step approach.
|Test Automation using Selenium WebDriver with Java: Step by Step Guide||$49.99||Buy on Amazon|
The helpful examples provided in the book give insight into the challenges automation testers face using Selenium in real-life scenarios to enhance the learning process for all students. The book is highly informative, precisely curated, and easy to understand.
Selenium is a very crucial part of software testing. Without the proper knowledge, it can be tough to work with this. But learning Selenium and getting experience with this is not tough at all with these online courses.
Next, you can check out top tools to automate application testing.