In today’s world, it is highly essential to let your targeted users know about the newly launched products, blog post, new features, etc.
These days, a lot of business organizations and website owners are opting for email newsletter applications for reaching out to potential customers.
How do you communicate with your customers, users?
One of the popular ways to use marketing platform which let you send email to your users. Most of the platform offers FREE emails to up to 2000 users per month. However, to send more, you need to spend more and cost can go high.
Managed marketing email solutions are expensive.
And, if you are looking for a cheaper solution, then the following self-hosted email software will save you $$$.
If you are still wondering what is self-hosted – you will need to host the email platform on your own on your server. Typically, you’ll be given a software which can be installed on a VPS or cloud VM.
Installing them is not a difficult task. Most of them provide explicit instruction and by following that you should be able to get your self-hosted email platform ready in less than one hour.
Switching your campaigns to self-hosted services can save thousands of dollars which is why a lot of organizations are actively opting for it.
Let’s explore the software…
Mailtrain is a newsletter application and mail listing app built on top of Nodemailer, Node.js & MySQL under a GPL v3 license.
It is a great tool that offers automation along with analytics and works well for large mailing lists typically of millions of subscribers.
- You can add mail addresses of your subscribers manually or import them from CSV
- Through merge tags, you can add various tools like custom fields, including text fields, numbers, drop downs & checkboxes.
- You can even filter the subscriber list and send emails to specific subscribers that match the segmentation rules predefined by you
- It allows you to create landing pages for actions like unsubscribing from the list
- Apart from self-hosting, you can also use various services like Amazon Simple Email Service (SES), SparkPost, SendGrid, Mailgun that support SMTP protocol
The great thing is it’s FREE.
Sendy is one of the popular solutions to send a bulk email at much cheaper cost.
It’s built in PHP and MySQL and sends an email via Amazon SES. It is one of the most affordable services with a plan that costs only $1 for 10,000 emails.
You can also avail all the future updates and support from their technical team for a one-time fee of $59.
- You get all basic featured including Campaign builder, Reporting, Automatic Bounce Handling, Auto-responder, Complaints, Unsubscribe, Statistical Graph, etc.
- You can create separate accounts for your clients and ensure that they online get a view that is required for them instead of displaying all the lists
- Sendy uses Amazon SES, so you can make changes to double and single opt-in list.
- It has an email filtering list. If an email does not exist, it is automatically cleared off from the list the next time
NeuvoMailer is a feature-rich self-hosted e-newsletter and email list management system which comes with an autoresponder software.
You can access all the features of NuevoMailer for a one-time license fee. It is a cost-effective tool mainly aimed towards small and medium-sized enterprises.
- You can manage unlimited subscribers and mailing lists
- If you find any inactive or dormant subscribers, you can just remove them
- NuevoMailer supports single and recurring email campaigns, drip campaigns and triggers
- You can generate custom landing pages, build a form and keep a check on your progress by tracking real-time reports and charts
- NuevoMailer is easy to use and learn
Dada Mail is an open source email and list management tool written in Perl.
Licensed under GNU General Public License, Dada Mail was introduced in January 2000 as Mojo Mail.
- Since Dada Mail is browser-based, the main part of the program runs as a simple CGI script rather than a daemon process. So the overall security of the is improved.
- Individual subscribers can edit their profiles based on preferences
- You can send emails in batches ensuring that the host doesn’t get showered with a huge number of emails
- Apart from email address, you can create form fields for acquiring other information of your subscriber like first name, last name, city, etc.
- You can also capture the content of a particular URL and send it to users in your subscriber list
MoonMail is another platform to send email marketing newsletters which offers unlimited campaigns and unlimited subscribers for a reasonable price.
- One of the prime reasons for MoonMail to be included in this list is its incredibly simple User Interface. You can use a demo account to get a gist of how MoonMail works. Its dashboard predominantly displays a graph showing results of the previous email campaign along with several other tabs which are self-explanatory.
- You can easily create beautiful email templates using the built-in Bee Editor Plugin and Template library
- MoonMail’s live chat support currently supports ten languages
- Its Email validation tool can help you in finding invalid email addresses from your lists
Octeth is a feature-packed email marketing software from the founders of Sendloop which has over 4000 clients in around 80 countries.
- You can log activities for your subscribers, use their data such as their name, age, address, etc. and even set-up autoresponders.
- You can seamlessly generate forms using their form designer
- With Octeth, you get subscription and unsubscription alerts through emails as well as ping
- You can use their wizard to design your email as well as save it as a template
- Octeth lets you set up autoresponders for sending regular emails to your subscribers
- After integrating Octeth with PreviewMyEmail, you can test your email design on more than 4o email clients
Mautic is available in two flavors – self-hosted and cloud-based.
You can download the self-hosted version from Mautic.org and then follow the essential setup guide for its configuration.
- It is open-source and has an active community
- It is quite easy to install and has minimum server requirements
- You can create contacts and segment them
- Apart from creating email campaigns, you can also create landing pages and forms
- Since it is open source, new features and enhancements are regularly introduced
Mautic is FREE.
I hope this article was helpful in making you understand about some of the self-hosted email marketing services.