Organizations looking to get the most out of their Nutanix setup need to keep tabs on their system’s health, performance, security, and availability.
This guide evaluated the best Nutanix monitoring solutions and their features and costs to help determine the best option for your enterprise.
What is Nutanix?
Nutanix is a cloud software solution provider and pioneer of hyper-converged infrastructure (HCI) solutions.
The company solutions include hybrid cloud architecture, multi-cloud management, unified storage, database services, and desktop services to serve applications and workloads regardless of location.
Further, their products are used across various industries, including automotive, education, government, financial services, healthcare, legal, manufacturing, media and entertainment, retail, and service providers, to reduce complexity, increase agility and improve performance.
Nutanix’s products and services portfolio include the Nutanix Operating System (Nutanix Acropolis), Nutanix AHV, Nutanix Clusters, Nutanix Distributed Storage Fabric (Nutanix AOS Storage), Flow Network Security, Nutanix Disaster Recovery, NCM Self-Service.
And various professional services are termed “Nutanix Xpert Services,” such as cloud consulting, migration and data transformation, cloud operations, and training and certification programs.
What is Nutanix used for?
Although Nutanix use cases may vary depending on the organization, the HCI platform integrates servers, storage, virtualization, networking, and cloud computing to simplify how you procure, deploy, and manage IT services. With Nutanix, you can securely move apps across hybrid, multi-cloud, public, or private clouds while maintaining data integrity.
Nutanix helps improve your organization’s cloud infrastructure availability by protecting your service and data against hardware failures, disasters, and bad actors. It replicates to other HCI or cloud to protect your data and workloads from disaster.
Additionally, Nutanix intelligence automation enhances IT service delivery in the public and private cloud by accelerating the delivery of full-stack application environments expressed as infrastructure, operations, and governance as code.
By automating manual tasks, you can increase performance and scalability, maximize resource usage, and reduce cost.
The importance of monitoring your Nutanix environment
According to a 2014 Gartner report, the average cost of network downtime is $5,600 per minute and can increase to $300K per hour.
Similarly, Ponemon Institute study found that an unplanned outage costs about $9000 per minute or over $500K per hour.
These costs may vary depending on the application and the organization’s size. Some small-mid-size businesses may lose approximately $100K due to sudden outages, while some enterprise applications may cause the company to lose millions of dollars per hour.
To prevent costly downtime, it’s important to use monitoring solutions to manage the health of your Nutanix environment. These tools provide visibility into your Nutanix environments from clusters and nodes (CPU, memory, RAM, and storage) to host and virtual machines. You can also monitor application and server performance and critical metrics such as latency and throughput.
In order to ensure that your Nutanix infrastructure is functioning properly, you need to have proper monitoring in place. Without it, you may miss essential performance issues, leading to costly downtime or data loss. Below are some of the best monitoring solutions for Nutanix:
ManageEngine Site24x7 provides vital performance indexes and performance data to IT admin. The SaaS-based monitoring solution provides visibility into websites, web applications, servers, networks, and cloud infrastructure performance from a single dashboard.
ManageEngine Site24x7 monitors the Nutanix environment for the health and performance of the Nutanix Acropolis hypervisor, controller VM (CVM), storage controllers, and containers. It increases an organization’s Nutanix infrastructure uptime by detecting issues that could cause costly downtime.
- Visibility: This tool monitors clusters, hosts, and virtual machines.
- Visualization: Users can visualize different data in formats like graphs, charts, dashboards, and reports.
- Identify usage trends: You can view key performance indicators (KPIs) on a custom dashboard and usage trends for resources such as memory, storage, and CPU summary.
- Alerts: Site24x7 sends alerts via voice call, SMS, email, and third-party tools like Slack and Microsoft Teams when an issue is detected.
- Supported platforms: The software supports various OS, including Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, and OS
ManageEngine Site24x7 offers various pricing plans for different use cases. Website monitoring starts from $9 per month (billed annually). And Infrastructure and Application performance monitoring (APM) provides a 30-day free trial of this software to enable potential users to explore the platform’s features and capabilities before making a purchase.
By tracking your Nutanix environment resource usage and application performance, ServicePilot’s server and virtualization monitoring software provide insight into your Nutanix infrastructure’s health. This allows you to visualize, analyze and troubleshoot your entire stack.
ServicePilot collects information for a Nutanix environment using Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) and provides detailed metrics on how well your cluster runs.
The data gathered using this tool include:
- Cluster: ServicePilot provides an overview of the status and total utilization of your Nutanix cluster.
- Controller VM: Tracks the status and total usage of the Controller VMs in your Nutanix environment.
- Hypervisor: Provides an overview of the hypervisor utilization of your Nutanix environment.
- VM Utilization: ServicePilot provides metrics on how well your virtual machines run, including CPU, memory, and disk utilization.
- Storage pool: Track the usage of your storage pools, including total capacity and allocated capacity.
- Container: Provides metrics on your containers usage
- Disk: Monitor the state of each disk in your Nutanix infrastructure, including their usage.
ServicePilot has three pricing plans. They are as follows:
- Cloud infrastructure monitoring plan starts from $100 per month (150 objects)
- Host monitoring Plan starts from $100 per month (10 host infrastructure)
- Full-stack monitoring plan starts from $200 per month (10 host full-stack)
HYCU is a backup-as-a-service provider with a purpose-built data protection platform for Nutanix environments, offering protection against ransomware attacks.
With this tool, organizations can conduct disaster recovery, backup, and migrations for both on-premises and public cloud environments — all from a single interface.
It also ensures compliance with security and industry standards, including STIG, NIAP, ISO 27001, PCI, HIPAA, Sarbanes Oxley (SOX), and GDPR.
- Supported public cloud platforms: Amazon Web Service (AWS), Microsoft Azure, and Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
- Governance: Control access using multi-factor authentication (MFA), Single sign-on (SSO), and native identity and access management (IAM) integrations.
- Supported private cloud platforms: Nutanix, VMware, and Dell power scale.
- Recovery: Enables users to restore applications, VMs, disks, folders, and files
HYCU doesn’t advertise its product pricing on its website. Potential buyers can contact the sales team for a custom quote. They can also request a free trial or book a demo to explore the product’s features.
LogicMonitor’s Nutanix monitoring software allows you to collect metrics from your entire infrastructure and understand the health of each component.
With its granular analytics, you get complete visibility into resource usage, uptime, and performance trends, so you can make proactive decisions about optimizing your system.
Plus, its alerting feature ensures that any potential issues will be flagged so that you can respond quickly and minimize disruption.
LogicMonitor allows you can track and measure your Nutanix infrastructure from overall cluster health to storage capacity and input/output operations per second (IOPS), throughput, and latency at the container, cluster, storage pool, and individual disk level.
It also enables you to monitor the end-to-end performance of each Nutanix Hypervisor and VM, including CPU, memory utilization, storage IOPS/latency, and network throughput.
LogicMonitor makes it easy to monitor the health of your Nutanix Controllers, ensuring that any potential issues are flagged and addressed quickly.
- Visibility: LogicMonitor’s dashboards display overall cluster health, controller performance, and end-to-end Nutanix hypervisor data.
- VM monitoring: LogicMonitor’s Active Discovery automatically discovers new virtual machines on Nutanix hypervisor hosts.
- Alerts: Get alerts on high disk latency, low storage capacity, high CPU usage, low memory, high rate of dropped packets, and failed health status on any Nutanix hypervisor, VM, storage pool, cluster, container, or disk.
- Public cloud monitoring: AWS, GCP, and Azure
LogicMonitor offers two pricing plans: Pro and Enterprise. Pricing depends on the specific features required. Potential buyers can contact the LogicMonitor sales team for a custom quote. They also offer a 14-day free trial.
eG Innovations’ Nutanix AHV Monitoring is another comprehensive performance monitoring solution for Nutanix environments. It gives you deep visibility into the health of your Nutanix AHV infrastructure, including its components.
It allows you to track the performance and utilization of hypervisor, VMs, OSes, server resources (memory and CPU), storage disks, clusters, and containers.
It also enables you to assess the capacity of your Nutanix deployment, identify performance bottlenecks, and forecast capacity demand. Furthermore, this tool offers detailed analysis and reporting capabilities to help you troubleshoot, audit, and optimize your Nutanix deployment.
- Discovery: Auto-detects your Nutanix AHV stack and the supported infrastructure
- VM monitoring: Tracks resource utilization and Capture usage trends
- Root cause analysis: Identifies the source of performance issues by correlating application and virtualization and providing insights
- Storage: Monitors latency, IOPS, and storage pool bandwidth
eG Innovations offers a 30-day free trial. Pricing for this tool is based on the deployment model.
- SaaS or cloud plan starts at $125 per month
- Subscription plan starts at $100 monthly
- Perpetual plan starts at $10,000
The licensing for APM, unified monitoring, or enterprise application monitoring is determined by the number of OSes, storage devices, and hypervisors you need to monitor. Additionally, for digital workspaces, the licensing depends on the number of users who access the workspace. Potential buyers can contact the eG Innovations sales team for custom quotes.
Paessler PRTG monitors Nutanix clusters and hypervisors with SNMP. It provides a set of Nutanix-specific sensors (SNMP Nutanix Cluster Health Sensor and SNMP Nutanix Hypervisor Sensor) for monitoring critical components like host utilization and cluster status.
In addition, you can leverage the custom sensors feature to create your own sensors for monitoring additional aspects of the Nutanix system.
- ITOps Board (multi-server dashboards)
- Customizable reporting
- Automatic network discovery
- Maps and dashboards
- Distributed monitoring
- Alerts and notifications
Paessler PRTG offers three pricing plans. They include:
- PRTG network monitor plan starts from $1,799 per server license (50 devices)
- PRTG enterprise monitor plan starts from $16,600 per year
- PRTG-hosted monitor plan starts from $149 per month (50 devices)
How to choose the best Nutanix monitoring software
The best Nutanix monitoring solution depends on your needs, use cases, and preferences. When shopping for a Nutanix monitoring tool, start by evaluating your needs. Assess the types of data you need to monitor and the performance levels you need from the monitoring software.
Afterward, research various monitoring tools and compare their features and key differentiators.
Also, evaluate the cost of the software to ensure they’re within your budget. Product reviews are helpful resources when looking for the best Nutanix monitoring solution; read reviews from third-party websites to gain insight into their current and past users’ experiences.
Finally, test your chosen software to ensure it meets your needs and serves your purpose; you can schedule a product demo or request a free trial to evaluate the tool before making a financial commitment.
We reviewed fifteen Nutanix monitoring software to determine the top-rated options and narrowed the list to the best six. We selected the top-rated solutions based on their features, scalability, support, and cost.
Before selecting a solution, ensure it provides comprehensive visibility into your Nutanix environment, support hybrid and multi-cloud environment, and sends an automated alert to report system performance or capacity issues. By following these guidelines, you can find your organization’s best Nutanix monitoring software solution.
You may also explore some network monitoring software for enterprises.