The arrival of ChatGPT has been revolutionary as it has opened new possibilities in the world of AI.
ChatGPT has brought automation to ground level and has made it easier for users to perform a variety of tasks.
Ranging from idea generation, text formulation, and summarization to text translation and summing complex formulas, ChatGPT can do a lot to simplify your text-based tasks on different types of documents and spreadsheets.
So if you are someone who spends a lot of time working on Google Docs and other spreadsheets, you can leverage ChatGPT and its power.
In this article, I will discuss how to integrate and use ChatGPT with Google Docs and Sheets.
What is ChatGPT?
Developed by OpenAI, ChatGPT is a powerful AI chatbot that helps you generate detailed human-like responses in the form of texts across multiple areas of knowledge. It was released in November 2022 and developed over OpenAI’s GPT-4 and GPT-3.5 families of large language models (LLM).
The term GPT in ChatGPT refers to “Generative Pre-Training Transformer,” and it indicates how the AI tool performs the function. ChatGPT is fine-tuned using machine learning techniques like reinforcement learning and supervised learning.
Whether you want to compose an email, solve a database query, or develop code, this AI tool can help you with a lot of things. It takes user data as input to answer the questions asked.
Furthermore, many AI chatbots have been present in the market for a long time, but what made ChatGPT successful is that it is based on reinforcement learning from human feedback (RLHF).
The RLHF model makes the chatbot think more human-like than other chatbots because it is based on human trainer and reward models that keep them under standard context and to have a conversation much more intuitively.
The question-answer format of this AI tool, with its capability of producing in-depth answers, has made it widely popular among users.
Currently, the usage of ChatGPT is in research and feedback collection, and the makers have made it entirely free for general users. However, they have also introduced a ChatGPT Plus subscription model, which will allow users a seamless user experience without any delay.
Benefits of Using ChatGPT With Google Docs
More and more users nowadays are utilizing ChatGPT while working by integrating it with Google Docs and Sheets. This opens up a new horizon of possibilities, offering many benefits to uses like:
Better Writing Experience
Once you integrate ChatGPT with Google Docs and Sheets, there is no stopping. The AI tool has been instrumental in the betterment of writing skills because it will constantly make suggestions that will help you to improve grammar, choice of words, and phrasing.
Most importantly, it will gather all the required information in one place; thus ensuring you have a better writing experience than ever before.
Like many of us, you must have faced inconsistency while working on Google Docs. But once you start utilizing the suggestions that ChatGPT makes, you can stay assured that your consistency will improve by a large margin.
Whether it is writing tone or style, everything will stay consistent. Thus, it makes your texts in Docs and Sheets easy to read and understand.
Another primary reason that many users prefer working on Google Docs with ChatGPT is because of its highly accurate responses. When you integrate this powerful AI tool, it generates relevant and accurate responses that help you create well-researched, factual texts in Doc.
Once you finish working on a document, you won’t have to manually edit it anymore, as there will hardly be any errors. Importantly, it also provides suggestions regarding keywords that improve the accuracy and quality of the text.
ChatGPT is known to reduce your working time on Docs and Sheets. Since it constantly supplies suggestions, content ideas, and toning requirements, you can quickly finish up your work without having to spend a lot of time on manual, lengthy research.
In addition, correcting your grammatical errors and maintaining the writing tone will also save the time that you might have spent on the correction.
Getting New Ideas
With ChatGPT assisting you in Google Docs, you can find new ideas and sub-topics while working on a particular topic. You won’t have to scour numerous websites and forums to get creative ideas, as the AI tool will help you with that part.
Furthermore, while you are in the middle of a topic, the AI tool will make many sub-topics and information suggestions that will improve the quality of the text.
Helps Counter Writer’s Block
You must have faced a situation where you went blank and had no idea how to proceed with your work. It is called writer’s block, and it is a common issue faced by many writers.
However, ChatGPT makes sure you will never have to deal with that issue and constantly provides suggestions. So, when you integrate the AI tool into your Google Docs, you are likely to experience a massive increase in productivity.
Unlike other AI tools that are often used in conjunction with Google Docs, ChatGPT has proven to be much more cost-effective. This AI tool is completely free to integrate, and it can be used by anyone. Although OpenAI has introduced a subscription model for its advanced tool, you can still use the basic one for free for unlimited times.
Minimum Requirements for Integration
Integrating and using ChatGPT with Google Docs and Sheets may seem complicated, but in reality, it isn’t. However, to make a seamless integration, you must maintain these requirements:
- ChatGPT account: To integrate ChatGPT with Google Docs, you will need an account in the AI platform. ChatGPT is totally free, so you can easily make an account through any of your email accounts or Facebook. However, for a seamless experience, you can opt for the subscription plan, which has a minimal charge.
- OpenAPI account: You will also need an OpenAPI account to start using Google Docs API for the integration process. When you create the account, you will be supplied with the necessary APIs and also permission to create a project.
- API key: Another primary requirement for this process is the API key, and you can easily create them from the OpenAPI platform. The API key can be easily created according to your requirement, and you just have to choose the right option.
- API client library: You also need to install an API client library which will help you to integrate the ChatGPT with the Google docs.
- Google Docs account: For obvious reasons, you need to have access to Google Docs through your Google account. During the integration of ChatGPT, you can use the existing document or create a new one.
Steps for Integrating ChatGPT With Google Docs
Follow these steps to integrate ChatGPT with Google Docs:
- The first thing you will need to do in order to start the process is to make an account in ChatGPT by visiting its website. ChatGPT is complete, and you can make an account using your Google account.
- Now, your next task is to head to the “Account” section in ChatGPT and look for the “View API Key” option located under it. There you have to generate a suitable API key that you will need for integration. Get your API key directly from here.
- When you create the API key, you will need to copy it, as it will only be shown once. Keep the API Key stored in the text editor to make sure you don’t lose it.
- Now, you need to open the Google Doc and make sure you are logged into your respective Google account.
- Once you have opened it, click on the “Extension” tab, which is located beside “Tool.” From there, you will have to click on the “App Script” tab, and a blank file will open up automatically.
- Here, you will create an app script code, and these codes are easily available on various reputed sites. Before pasting the app script code, you need to delete all the existing text and codes written on the app’s script code editor. Commonly you will find the “function myFunction ()” code written there, and you just have to delete it.
- Now, you have to deploy the app script, and it will be under the deployment page. You can fill out all the necessary details of the web app executed and description before hitting the deployment button.
- In this step, you will have to replace the old API key (mentioned as ‘xxxxxxxxx’ in the above image) with the new API key you have generated on ChatGPT’s website. You just need to copy it from the text editor where you saved it. However, if you use this method, then it is not recommended to share your Google Docs with others as you will also have to share your API key.
- After replacing the old one with a new API key, you need to save it. When you do it, it will seek permission, and you just have to confirm the permission.
- Now your Google Docs are ready with ChatGPT, and you can utilize it while writing any sentence. It will automatically generate the texts and suggestions depending on your requirements.
How to Use ChatGPT Integration With Google Docs
Once you have integrated ChatGPT with Google Docs using API from OpenAI, your task gets more accessible when it comes to usage.
Here are the steps that will guide you on how to use the integration
- Select or highlight the text or sentence that you want to use as input in the ChatGPT.
- After selecting it, you will have to click on the ChatGPT option located on the top Menu bar.
- A drop-down menu will appear, and there you will see the option of generating ideas, writing blogs, and generating images. You just have to select the one you need.
- The script will automatically run and generate the response on Google Docs or a sheet. However, if you don’t like the response, you can regenerate it for a better output.
Another way to use ChatGPT is by using the add-on method. The steps to do it are:
- Go to the add-on option on Google Docs and click on ChatGPT.
- Once you select ChatGPT, a sidebar will come up, and there you need to put your query.
- Put up your query on the sidebar and click on the “ask” button. It will take a few seconds to generate the response based on your query.
- Just copy and paste the output into the Google Doc. That’s it.
Some External Integration Tools
Here is the list of some external tools that can help you integrate ChatGPT with Google Docs and Sheets if you don’t want to do it manually:
#1. GPT for Work
GPT for Work is one of the most popular that helps you integrate ChatGPT with Google Docs and Sheets, and it supports all the models of ChatGPT.
From generating a description, outlining, summarizing notes, and rephrasing a sentence to adding taglines and tags in sheets, you can perform a range of tasks. It is a highly effective tool that you can use for free by just installing the add-on.
#2. GPT Workspace
GPT Workspace is another powerful tool that helps you unleash your productivity when you integrate ChatGPT with Google Docs and Sheets. Like others, you can install this add-on free on your Doc and Sheets, but for unlimited usage, you will need to pay the subscription fee.
This tool can also perform a host of tasks which include generating titles, cleaning arrays, rephrasing and extending paragraphs, and putting ideas. With this tool, you can create an outline for a small topic and also classify and extract data.
SheetGPT works as an exclusive tool that helps you harness the power of ChatGPT while you work on Google Sheets. It makes the process of integrating ChatGPT to sheets a straightforward task, as you just have to install the add-on.
A great thing about this tool is that you won’t need any API key for the integration process, and it is extremely easy to use. Ranging from data extraction, analyzing user feedback, and translating text to automating tasks and creating small texts, SheetGPT helps you with a lot of functions.
However, it isn’t completely free and comes with three subscription plans – Starter 1, Individual 1, and Professional 1. The base plan starts from $9/month.
When you want to automate your workspace in Google Docs or Sheets, Docsium is one of those tools that can help you accomplish it. Docsium serves as an add-on to your Google Docs and Sheets, and you can try it for free with the free credit that the tool offers.
This tool offers all the basic and exclusive features offered by other tools that help in integrating ChatGPT. However, what sets it apart is its ability to create meeting notes from bullet points in docs and find new data in sheets to maximize your productivity.
When it comes to automating your Google sheet, one tool that comes as a recommendation is Flowshot.ai. Once you install this tool in your Google Sheets, it can automate all your tasks and helps you increase your productivity. Using this tool, you can insert AI formulas with a click and utilize features like named ranges and absolute references.
This tool allows you to train a custom AI model and use them in your sheet to conclude your tedious work swiftly. For primary usage, it is entirely free, with unlimited usage of all AI formulas, but it is limited in character usage. However, if you opt for the Flowshot Pro, you get a better character limit.
ChatGPT, although new, is creating a huge buzz across the world. When you start using it in Google Docs and Sheets, you will be thrilled at how it improves your productivity and work quality.
The process of integrating ChatGPT in your Google Doc or Sheet is pretty simple if you follow the above process. But if you don’t want to do it manually, there are many tools mentioned above that can help you easily integrate ChatGPT with Docs and Sheets so that you can leverage their combined power.
You may also explore some Chrome Extensions and Powerful Prompts to get the best ChatGPT experience.