Stuck with a broken code? Unable to identify the reason for the bug? It’s time to analyze your code for the troubles caused!
Software and web applications around the world are growing complex day by day. With cut-throat competition and the need for quality in critical applications, maintaining code quality becomes of utmost importance. A poor code does not just affect the maintainability of the code but also impacts its performance in several cases.
Let us take a glance at some of the tools best suited to solve this problem.
SonarQube is the most popular code quality and security analysis tool in the market. With the support of the open-source community, Sonarqube presently can analyze and produce outputs for over 25 programming languages, which are higher than most tools in the market.
It comes in a free community edition, and other premium paid editions.
The primary benefits of utilizing SonarQube are:
- Easily integrates into CI/CD pipelines with a single line command.
- Can be integrated into Maven and Gradle build cycle too
- Checks for almost everything – code quality, formatting, variable declarations, exception handling and a lot more
This helps you ensure your code is of expected quality before its merged!
Learn how to review code with SonarQube here.
Kritika.io is an excellent online code analysis tool that analyses public and private repositories directly for you.
It takes care of incrementally analyzing the code for coding standard violations, security threats, test coverage, and complexity of the coding logic. It is easily integrable with Github to display code quality statistics directly in the repository. Kritika can be utilized in 3 variants.
- Free for public repository scanning
- Paid Cloud service for private repositories
- On-Prem deployment with more integration capabilities
It supports more than 12 programming languages and text files.
The dashboard is a true blessing to market your quality standard in front of the client.
Major benefits of using Deepscan include:
- Provides a graphical view of scanning data over time
- Useful to analyze and keep track of how the code management process has been going
- Useful for organization-wide code quality audits over a single platform
- Auto-scans the repositories
- Works over the cloud and on-premises
Klocwork can perform static code analysis on projects of almost any size. The primary benefit of using Klocwork is that it is easily integrable with Visual Studio Code IDE, Eclipse, IntelliJ, and few others. This makes use of Klocwork easier for developers.
Additionally, it can also be integrated into CI/CD pipelines for ensuring code quality before delivery. It supports C, C#, C++, and Java.
- CodeSonar is a statistical code analysis tool that analyses the code from a computational perspective. It is able to develop models from your code, analyze them for potential execution threats like deadlocks, memory overflow, null pointers, data leaks, and numerous such programmatic errors that might be difficult to catch.
The developers of CodeSonar claims.
- The code scanning done by it is more profound than others.
- Able to detect 3-5 times more defects compared to other tools
- It can build a function call graph of its own to analyze the complete code model and provide output about the quality.
JArchitect is primarily dedicated to code analysis in Java language. JArchitect is the most exhaustive Java code analysis tool that analyses
- Call hierarchies
- Memory consumption
- Code complexity
- Functional coupling
- Block Nesting Depth
- Architectural flaws in the implementation
JArchitect is used by giants like Samsung, Intel, LG, IBM, Google, and others. This ascertains how far excellent the tool is.
Bandit is a Python security vulnerability scanning tool that scans python packages for security flaws. It is a popular tool among the data scientists and AI experts for building code that meets organizational standards. Bandit is available for use over a command-line interface.
It generates a security vulnerability report with detailed information about the security issue.
More Python security scanner is listed here.
Code Climate is an analytics tool that is extremely useful for an organization that emphasizes quality. Code Climate offers two different products:
- Velocity – identify logical flaws and bad design patterns within the code. It provides a well-analyzed visualization of code quality and assists in the resolution of the same. Velocity features focus on improving the functional quality of the code.
- Quality – primarily focuses on code quality in terms of formatting, unused imports, variables, and unit test coverage. It is an automated tool that can automatically process all your pull requests. This ensures quality before the merge.
It supports more than ten languages.
Crucible from the house of Atlassian is an interesting collaborative tool for managing code quality. It is unlike the automated quality check tools. Rather, Crucible is a rare tool in the market that provides quality analysis with the facility to collaborate at the same time. Crucible allows integration with popular tools like Jira, Github, Confluence as well as CI/CD tools like Jenkins or AWS CodePipeline.
Some of the features of crucible include the following.
- Review and collaborate on the code
- Auto-trigger code scanning and see the reports in your desired tool
- Auto-generate tickets in Jira by providing a review
- Track the complete code review cycle at one place
Fortify Static Code Analyser
Fortify by Micro Focus focus on the scanning of security vulnerabilities in the codebase. It looks towards known security flaws and any presence of malware or corrupted files that might be a problem. Some of the exciting features include:
- Automated scanning of code
- Covers almost every programming language
- Provides suggestions for resolution of vulnerabilities
- Provides rich analysis of the code to help you solve issues faster
- Easy integration with popular CI/CD tools
Codecov is a comprehensive tool for managing code base as well as builds with a single utility. It analyses the pushed code, performs required checks, and auto-merges them if needed. Some of the more features listed below.
- A single line of command can scan, analyze, generate reports and merge them
- Integrable with almost every popular CI/CD tools
- Supports an elaborate list of 30+ programming languages
- Integrates reports into the Github repository for easier code review
Code quality analysis and audits have become an essential process for every organization today. With the increasing use of open-source libraries, security and code quality have become critical to building quality software. Additionally, a better code quality also helps the organization cut down on the maintenance and enhancement costs in the future. Thus, these tools will surely come to your rescue when it comes to making quality software.