More and more people are switching to online solutions when it comes to video editing.
That doesn’t mean desktop software is living it is last days, no—quite the opposite. Desktop software comes in handy when you need thorough video processing, mostly for professional purposes. But if you edit video online, chances are you need to get the results quickly and without any significant efforts.
Fastreel by Movavi does just that. The review shows why this online video editor is up for the job, its downsides, and what makes it different from other tools on the market.
Interface & Use
Fastreel by Movavi has a clear layout in dark colors instead of the white-and-blue color scheme on the site’s main page. Every tool opens in a new tab making it very clear when searching for the feature you need.
Some of the tools are automated, meaning you just have to upload files and get the results. This concerns such tools as video compression, muting and reversing. Other features like adding filters or resizing will take more action from your side. After you upload videos, you will need to adjust the settings manually to get the results you want. And when you use a template or start a video from scratch, you can manage your project with the help of handy drag-and-drop controls.
Fastreel lets you upload both video and graphics files to your project. You can use JPEG, PNG, GIF, MP4, MOV, MKV, AVI, and WMV as your input file formats. Note that each file should be smaller than 500 MB. You can upload photos and videos from your computer or your Dropbox storage.
Now, let’s talk about Fastreel’s capabilities in more detail.
Templates come in handy when you need a theme-specific video. The template gallery includes 38 pre-made clips and is updated regularly. You can find a sample practically for any
occasion or purpose: different kinds of intros, promotional clips, workout videos, movie trailers, Instagram stories, and more.
You can customize each template as you wish: you can change the order of slides, add new scenes, insert text and change its font, overlay music, and tweak the aspect ratio. However, templates don’t come with different color schemes, so you can only work with the default palette.
Fastreel gives you a multifunctional toolkit that you can use to enhance your video files. As mentioned before, you won’t need more than a couple of clicks to crop your footage, adjust colors, change the video speed, or cut video online.
Here’s the full list of what can you do with Fastreel:
- Compress videos. This tool reduces your file size so that you can upload it to sites or attach it to emails.
- Cut videos. You can trim the clip from both ends or remove parts in the middle.
- Crop and resize videos. Change your video’s aspect ratio to 1:1, 16:9, 9:16, or custom parameters.
- Change video speed. Make your footage up to 4 times faster or slower.
- Merge videos. Join multiple clips into one long video.
- Mute videos. Remove the sound from your footage in one click.
- Reverse videos. Make the video sequence go backward.
- Add music to a video. Choose one of the built-in atmospheric tunes or upload your own soundtrack.
- Rotate and flip videos.
- Loop videos. This tool reduplicates your video several times, making it repeat from 2 to 10 times in a row.
- Add text to a video. Fun or explanatory captions increase the level of attraction and make videos more clear.
- Make a stop-motion video. This advanced tool can make your video look like an animation. You just need to select the clip rate from 0.2 to 1.5 seconds and enjoy the results.
- Add a watermark to a video. Watermarks protect your ownership so that you can add your logo to the whole video.
- Make a split-screen collage. Show multiple videos or photos on the screen.
- Add subtitles. Embed subtitles to your favorite TV shows or create an SRT file yourself.
- Add filters. Change the video’s color palette to something more sophisticated that matches your idea.
Last but not least, you can create a movie or a slideshow from the ground up. Fastreel’s functionality lets you upload your footage and music, add stylish transitions and elegant captions, and then save the results.
When you’ve finished editing, you will need to save your project. However, Fastreel has only one export option, and that is the MP4 format. This may seem surprising, as other video editors may suggest a much wider selection of output formats. However, the decision is quite reasonable. MP4 is by far the most popular and efficient format for working with video, especially online. Additionally, you can export your file directly to YouTube if you use templates.
Fastreel can be used as a free video maker if you don’t mind the watermark. You are not limited in the number of times you can process your videos, nor in the overall time, you use the editor. However, you can pick one of the two premium plans to discover Fastreel’s full potential.
The Single Premium plan lets you save one video without a watermark and pick the 720p resolution. This means you can process the video with one tool and save it. If you want to edit the same video with another tool, you will have to purchase the Single Premium plan one more time.
- Price: $5.95 per video
The Unlimited Premium gives you access to all tools at once – you can edit and save your video multiple times without watermarks in the 720p resolution.
- Price: $19.95 per month or $119.40 billed annually ($9.95 per month)
Pros & Cons
- Fastreel is an online video editing service, so you don’t have to install anything on your computer. You can work in any browser and log in from anywhere.
- It’s easy to use, and you will have no problem figuring out what button does what.
- You rarely find advanced tools in other online editors: reversing, looping, speed changing, and adding subtitles in SRT format.
- You can log in via your Google or Facebook account or use your Movavi ID to get into the system.
- You are free to create a video from scratch or use a ready-made template.
- You’ll need a stable internet connection to ensure that Fastreel functions correctly.
- The Single Premium plan option may seem pricey.
- The free version overlays a watermark on output videos.
If you’re looking for a toolkit that will let you edit videos practically on the go, we advise you to check out Fastreel.
We find it very helpful, as it doesn’t require any specific skills to put together a video. It has all the basic tools like cutting, cropping, and rotating and some advanced features like stop-motion and split-screen. The free version does its job of introducing you to the tools, but with the subscription, you get an advantage to save your videos at the highest quality and without a watermark.