How to fix telnet not recognized error when you execute on Windows desktop and server?
telnet is one of the popular commands to check network connectivity, and for some reason, higher Windows OS version doesn’t have it installed by default. That results to show an error when you run
telnet on the command prompt.
C:\Users>telnet 'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. C:\Users>
It’s easy to fix.
You have to install telnet to get this working.
Installing telnet on Desktop
- Go to start and search for the control panel and then click Programs
- Click Program and Features and then Turn Windows features on or off
- It will open the Windows Features window where you need to select Telnet Client and click OK
- Once installed, you will get a confirmation window like below.
That’s it. Rerun the
telnet and it should be ok.
Installing telnet on Server
If you are running the server edition, then you can install by following steps.
- Go to start and launch for “Server Manager.”
- It will open a server manager dashboard where you have to click on
- It will prompt “Add Roles and Features Wizard.”
- Let the default settings be there and click Next on Before You Begin, Installation Type, Server Selection, Server Roles
- On Features selection, select “Telnet Client” and Next
- Click on Install on the Confirmation window to begin installation
It will take a few seconds, and you will get a confirmation about installation success.
- Click close and launch Command Prompt to rerun the telnet.
There you go, have fun!
Looking to learn about Windows Administration? Check out this online course.
More great readings on Sysadmin
Looking For Traceroute on RHEL 8? Try TracepathAbhishek Nair on June 14, 2022
6 Best Switch Port Monitoring ToolsDurga Prasad Acharya on June 12, 2022
Windows 10/11 Random Shutdown: How to Find the CauseHitesh Sant on May 30, 2022
7 Best Server Configuration Monitoring and Auditing ToolsTalha Khalid on May 28, 2022
8 Best FTP Server Software for Windows for Secure TransferSatish Shethi on May 24, 2022
OSI Model Layers: An Introduction GuideAmrita Pathak on May 13, 2022
Join Geekflare Newsletter
Every week we share trending articles and tools in our newsletter. More than 10,000 people enjoy reading, and you will love it too.