Security is probably the last element we think of investing in when it comes to having a Mac.
Believe it or not: Just like Windows, Apple is as much prone to having malware or viruses. Just because Apple has an iron grip-type security status, it doesn’t mean hackers or scammers cannot break into it.
With all the intelligence around us today, literally any time you might be hit with the next cyber-attack. And buying that latest MacBook Pro on a Black Friday deal would mean nothing in an instant.
Since Apple products are a little expensive than the others, we need to take every measure to keep it secure. To help you with that, I’ll be listing some of the best security software for your Mac desktop or laptop that’ll help keep your data and online identity safe.
But first, let’s discuss the benefits of it.
Protects from viruses
This is probably the most significant benefit of having security software because viruses can make your computer useless, as it carries Trojans and Malware. Once you accidentally install and nurture a virus for a long time, you’d most likely be losing your entire computer’s data to remove the virus.
It’s that bad!
Protects your personal data
Personal information, like credit card information and bank details, are the biggest targets when it comes to hacking. Surfing the internet is not as secure as you might think because, in every possible way, you might be browsing unsafe websites that might try to trick you into entering your information.
Good security software helps you avoid that with ease.
Protects from Spyware
Spyware is a nasty software that gets installed on your computer automatically (if you don’t have a security software), and it can spy on your computer’s data. Whether it’s your financial information, personal files, or real-time surfing. It can keep a watch on your activity. So, that’s another reason why you need security.
Spam can be one of the most annoying things while surfing the internet. Having a security software will help you reduce the amount of spam you get on a day-to-day basis like inappropriate ads and popups.
Did you know macOS has an inbuilt firewall?
Well, now you know.
It is disabled by default and here is how you can enable the in-built macOS firewall.
- Go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy
- Then, click on the Firewall tab
- At the bottom of the window, click on the lock icon to enter your administrator password for changing the settings.
- Click the option of Turn On Firewall
Sometimes, the default firewall is not enough and you need a premium solution to have the utmost protection from cyber attacks.
The good news is, there are few options, and let’s explore them.
BitDefender has been around since 2001, which makes it one of the most prominent names in the anti-virus space.
It has separate plans and features for macOS which includes:
- Create a watch-list to guard your most important files
- Time machine backup protection
- Blocks inappropriate ads
- Detection and prevention of malware targeting macOS
- Safe internet surfing that prevents data thefts
- Protection from Phishing sites
- Lightning-fast virus scanning
- Parental control that ensures safe browsing for children
- And a lot more!
This security software costs $89.99 and allows up to 10 different devices. However, you can also avail of the 30-day free trial before purchasing.
Used by brands such as Canon, Honda, and Toshiba, Cyber Security Pro is comprehensive security software that will protect your Mac from dangerous attacks and malfunctions. It includes a personal firewall as well as parental control.
Some of the main features include:
- ESET NOD32® technology Antivirus and Antispyware
- Protects from Phishing sites
- Prevents kids from browsing offensive sources
- Ability to add your list of sites to parental control
- Ability to set advanced configurations for better security
ESET solution costs $39.99 for the basic plan and $49.99 for the advanced plan. Keep in mind; the basic plan doesn’t have parental control and hacker prevention. The good news is, you can try out any one of the plans free for 30 days.
Probably the complete security suite you’ve ever seen, Mac Premium Bundle X9 comprises different security apps packaged into one affordable plan. The different apps include:
- VirusBarrier – Responsible for eliminating viruses
- NetBarrier – Prevents unauthorized access
- Mac Washing Machine – Cleans and increases the speed of your Mac
- ContentBarrier – Prevents kids from inappropriate browsing
- Personal Backup – Automatically backs up data
The plans start from $69.99 for one year of protection and one device allowance.
Malwarebytes is lightweight and effective security software for your Mac. It crushes any glimpse of malware and viruses in your system. Don’t take my word for it; check out these features:
- Automatically detects and eliminates malware, ransomware, and viruses
- Diminishes adware and unnecessary applications on your Mac
- Super-fast scanning of malware
- Scheduled scan option to automatically scan the system without touching
- Blocks app downloads from suspicious developers
The price of this software starts at $39.99/year, which allows only one device. If you want to unlock more devices, then you’d have to buy the $59.99/year plan.
Scudo is like a hybrid firewall for Mac that works as a combination of an outbound application-layer firewall and an inbound network-layer packet filter. The software offers enhanced protection to Mac’s network services from all the unwanted connections. It improves your privacy against remote computers trying to access your data through the network.
Scudo offers control over all your apps to choose the apps that can connect to the network by enhancing security controls of all the apps. The entire controlling can be handled in a single window with ease and safety.
- Protection of network services and shared documents
- Limit the applications for download or upload bandwidth
- Easy to monitor connections
- Verify the authenticity and integrity of applications
- Secure all the privacy blocking applications
Been appreciated by MacWorld and Digital Trends, Avira is free security software for Mac that comes with some stellar features. It prevents attacks, viruses, malware, spyware, and ransomware with total ease. On top of that, it is lightweight, which won’t cause a dent on your hard disk.
Some other features include:
- Scheduled scanning
- Easy-to-use dashboard
- Entire folder repairing
- One-click quick scan
- Blocks suspicious websites
- In-built price comparison to save money while shopping
- And a lot more!
Also, you can also download their security suite for Mac that includes anti-malware as well as a phantom VPN for secure browsing.
If you are not really a tech-savvy person, but still you need a simple and easy way to monitor your network, then you must check out the Radio Silence network monitor for Mac. The application has been built after years of customer feedback so that people can find it easy to use. You can block any app that misbehaves with a single click.
The Radio Silence firewall is active 24/7 with no pop-ups to disturb you. So, there is no need to keep any windows open for firewall while you are working on your Mac.
- Saves on data charges and bandwidth
- Block any application from going online
- Easy way to monitor network
- Protection of your private data
Another great option for malware removal, MacScan 3 is priced at $49.99 and comes with a free trial as well. It removes some of the nastiest threats, including:
- And Keystroke Loggers
It is fairly easy to use and has a straightforward interface. Anyone who’s a non-techy wouldn’t have a hard time using this software.
Talking about features, here are some of them:
- Customizable cookie blacklist and whitelist
- Scheduled scans
- Helpful notifications
- Past scan logs
It is rated 4/5 by MacWorld and MacLife Magazine, which is pretty impressive.
Hotspot Shield VPN
Wondering why I included VPN?
Hotspot Shield VPN is purely made for secure and safe browsing. Unlike some of the other software mentioned in this article, this one is a bit different because it is only a VPN, but powerful. Having a VPN is a great way to stay safe online because you’re not revealing your IP and identity. You can stay anonymous and browse websites from a completely different IP address and location.
Some of the main features include:
- One-click connect to your Mac
- Connects up to 5 different devices
- Rock-solid encryption
- Lightning speed streaming
- Over 70 locations to choose from
It is available for free on the Apple store, and the paid plans start from $4.99. They offer 45-day money-back guarantee as well.
Probably the most popular in this list, Avast has become a household name when it comes to security. You might think maybe that’s because it has been around for a lot of years, but it’s actually because of their impressive set of features.
Some of the best ones include:
- Real-time prevention of viruses, malware, spyware, and other threats
- Instant alerts for suspicious WiFi networks
- Blocks malicious websites
- Prevents Phishing activities
Avast comes with a 60-day free trial and post that paid plans start at just $59.99/year.
MacBooster is the kind of friend who does more than we ask for (in a good way). It sweeps up to 20 different types of junk and eliminates dangerous malware and viruses. Besides, it also optimizes your hard drive and cleans your Mac’s memory problems.
At this point, you might think that’s all it does, but no. It also forces your Mac to run on its full potential by fixing your disk’s issues. There’s a lot more to it.
The standard plan is priced at $59.99 and allows up to 3 Macs. You can also download the completely free version with limited features.
You would have heard about the famous antivirus brand, Norton.
Norton 360 is like a one-stop solution for the protection of your Mac from any threats. You don’t need to worry about your security and privacy as Norton will take care of everything with its loads of features.
- The capability of protecting multiple devices
- Norton Secure VPN enhances security and privacy when online
- Intrusion Prevention Systems for analyzing incoming information from any network
- Antivirus with advanced machine learning
- Power Eraser detects and removes high-risk applications
There you have it. I hope the above security software will help keep your Apple macOS products fully secured and away from the next cyber-attack.
Next, don’t forget to optimize your macOS.